I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

time to wait between cp and epoxy
Posted by: chad cunningham (---.goblinshare.com)
Date: June 26, 2013 04:49PM

I want to put cp and epoxy on the rod wraps tonite. I am using Flexcoat type cp and epoxy. Can I wait about an hour between the two or do I need to wait longer? Some say two hours is enough for any cp to get dry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: time to wait between cp and epoxy
Posted by: Jacob Case (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 26, 2013 05:07PM

I usually wait about an hour. Use your finger and see if it has set. The warmer it is, the faster it will dry. However, don't over apply if you wish for it to dry quickly. Sometimes your epoxy will milk up a bit when applied afterwards but it will still dry clear.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2013 05:51PM

I never apply CP and finish of any kind on the same day. That is just courting disaster in my view.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.99.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: June 26, 2013 07:00PM

I wouldn't put c.p. and epoxy on the same day either, and definitely not within in an hour or two. Some builders will put on epoxy after the c.p. has dried for 6- 8 hours, that might be alright, but i always let it dry for at least 24 hours before applying epoxy.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 07:03PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: June 26, 2013 07:10PM

G'Day Chad I'm with Randolph & Steve 24hrs between aplications

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 26, 2013 07:34PM

Moisture under a coat of epoxy is courting a serious problem. If you must hurry, use a hair dryer to make sure the CP is good and dry.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2013 10:17PM

24 hours

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 27, 2013 04:33AM

Hello Chad.

Another vote for 24+ hours.

Milkless Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2013 07:39AM

If you have to ask a question like this you should be waiting a lot longer than an hour. I wait until the CP is dry, sometimes it's 1-2 hours, sometimes longer. Whether it is dry for 15 minutes, or dry for 22 hours doesn't matter....but if you spend xx hours working on something, and you put epoxy on wet CP - you will end up with a mess and wish you had waited/

I put CP on a wrap 2 days ago, it's super humid and hot here, and after a coupl eof hours the first coat of CP was still puddled on the wrap. I expected it to be dry after an hour like usual. Better to be cautious.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2013 09:29AM

Many of the CP's are the white acrylic with solids in suspension. With these compounds, there is dry and then there is cured. Paint can be dry to the touch in a few hours, but not cured for awhile after that, just as a comparison.

I've had best luck when waiting at least overnight before applying finish and have never had a problem. I haven't pushed it sooner, just because I don't want to get a result I have to re-do. Hate the do overs.

The only product I know that cures very quickly is the krylon workable fixative. I've applied finish 2 hours after spraying on labels for good results, but it's much more volatile than CP.

Terry

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.55.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 29, 2013 06:45PM

HI Chad,

I have been building rods for 2 1/2 years so I am not a pro yet.. how ever I learned early CP. can be the mother from that place we don't want to talk about ( h-- - - - ) So This is how I work the finishing up a new build .

1 . Re check ALL of you'r work, look for the little things,the customer may not see right away,. The big stuff will be easy to see. (for me this I do at the end of day after dark.) I use lot's of bright light to find them, if i have to fix the little things I have lots of light. to work with.

2. Rod set in dryer motor ,I use Flex Coat CP I put on 1 Heavy coat, with a 1/2 inch brush, let rod turn slow for 30 mins. then with a small damp rag I take off any extra, now give it 2 hrs. to dry.

3. NOW. with a small 1/8in. brush put on a very thin coat make sure to make it smooth , I let it all turn over night.

4. In the early am.next day. I take my blow dryer to the rod wraps ,each wrap gets at least 10 mins. ,don't let the wraps get to warm, ( I use low setting on my dryer) check heat with the back of the hand do not use you'r finger tip , it 's oily if you touch the wrap you leave oil and can mess up you'r epoxy later. After all the wraps have been blow dried give it an 1 hr.to cool .

5. You can now put you'r epoxy on. I like to use 1 coat lite, wait 4 hrs. then 1 coat high build, give the rod 6 to 8 hrs.on the dryer turner . After you'r rod has done its time.I let it stand in a dry corner for at least 2 days to be sure it is dry

Now you should not have any problems . IF you do let us or me know. I'll help

Good luck. Richard Curry papacurry@ gmail.com

What is life without fishing ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster