I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Clemens wrapper part?.
Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 23, 2013 09:55PM

Found a really good deal (maybe) on a Clemens wrapper for sale. Only has one rod support, but can't I get compatible ones from Renzetti? There's also the question of the thread carriage. I think this is it, but I'm not sure. If it is, does it look complete? How does it work?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thanks,
Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clemens wrapper part?.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2013 10:08PM

That is the original carriage Renzetti made for Clemens.

You may want to call Renzetti and ask about their current rod supports fitting their and the Clemens older bed widths.

Date: June 24, 2013 12:36AM

Thank you, Tom. Does the carriage look to be missing any parts? Just from the one pic, I can't tell how it's supposed to work.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 24, 2013 08:34AM

Hi,

Why not mount a new thread stand on the old moveable base? I would look into that.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: June 24, 2013 08:40AM

The only thing I see that might be missing is the ridged plastic rolled that was fitted to the end of the reverse tension spring arm. If that is missing, you can easily fix things by simply making a new spring wire with a pigtail in the thread end. This is what Renzetti went to a few years later and it's actually much easier to install and keep the thread in there.

The thread spools were separated on the long spool arms by nylon washers.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2013 02:36PM

You'll need to rig up something to lock the spools in place on the two rods.
I used folding wing paper clips.
But it's a very poor design for the job.

I quickly upgraded to a more modern modern Renzetti 8 spool model.
There are several versions which let you screw down each spool individually.
This is the best way to get precise tension on each spool.
There's no comparison. It's worlds ahead.
I highly recommend you do the same.

Since you'll already have the Rolling Carriage you just need to invest $105. to get the latest Renzetti Thread Feeder.
Then add a couple more rod supports. Two will work. Three supports work much better than two.
I use four supports and like it much better than three.
If you do long one piece rods then five or six supports are worth the investment.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2013 02:47PM

David, try split nylon washers that fit the thread arms. I have used mine since Dale first offered this lathe and they work great. I have 2 of these lathes and just ordered the newer thread carriage for the second one. I think it will be more time consuming changing spools with the new carriage, but I haven't tried it yet since they only sent me half of it. I also bought the drill chuck and was very disappointed in it. It doesn't fit the base like it should and needs to be slid on from the end of the bed. Sending it back. They are supposed to be sending me one that will work like it is supposed to. In my view it is far too expensive for what you get for this drill set up.

Date: June 24, 2013 04:14PM

On the Renzetti Thread Unit, put the springs and washers inboard and spool changes become much quicker.

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: June 24, 2013 04:21PM

Just got off the phone with Lily at Renzetti. Delightful conversation, and she was very helpful. She said that all the current parts were compatible with the base. There some slight differences, but the new will work with the old. I can, if I choose, replace the thread feeder with the new one as well; it will mount to the carriage base. She did say that the rollers on that base are different than the current, and if they ever wear out, I'd need to buy a new base for it. None of the current repair parts will fit. Oh yeah, she also said that Tom would always point me in the right direction; that I could trust whatever he told me. :) Thats a very nice thing to say about someone.

Date: June 24, 2013 05:06PM

Kevin, like I said in my previous post, the drill chuck set up that I ordered does not fit the base without clearing everything off the lathe base and then you will be able to slide it on from the end of the lathe bed. It should fit just like all the other roller bases, work support base, etc. But it doesn't. I extended a 4 foot Clemens base with a new Renzetti and this chuck base doesn't work like it should on either. All my other bases work like they should on both the old and new bed extension.

Date: June 24, 2013 08:29PM

Randolph, would you mind sending me a couple of pics of the thread carriage at work? I think my email is visible here. Thanks.

Date: June 24, 2013 08:46PM

I will try.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 25, 2013 12:43AM

Changing spools on the Renzetti Thread Feeder has never bothered me.
It takes but a few moments even with the springs mounted outside the spools.
I"m so used to it I can do it in my sleep.

The same with moving the rod supports. It has become second nature.

The Renzetti Lathe is really a joy to use.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2013 08:16AM

Randolph; With a little judicious grinding you can make it fit over the top about 2 MM off the front hook. theres a photo in this post

[www.stripersonline.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 11:12AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Date: June 25, 2013 03:42PM

Kevin, I sent you 3 different pictures of the carriage. Hope it helps.

Barry, one should not have to modify what is supposed to be designed to fit their own product. Especially at the price they charge!!! I know how to grind, I am just not going to put up with that lack of quality control.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2013 04:37PM

that link is to make Renzetti parts Match up to Clemens Beds, 2MM difference I believe

Date: June 25, 2013 05:16PM

Barry, the drill chuck they sent does not fit either of the lathe beds. I put one of the new bed extensions together with my older Clemens beds and the drill chuck base does not fit either. All other components fit both. They made a mistake.

Date: June 25, 2013 06:12PM

No, they were made like that because of the chance that a loosened base while drilling could result in a bad situation. So the base will not come off even if the knob is loosened. It has to be slid off the end of the bed.

Date: June 25, 2013 07:50PM

For the price they charge for that component all I can say is that it is poor engineering to say the least!!!

Date: June 25, 2013 09:22PM

Tom, If they were worried about it coming loose, they could have put two securing nuts/knobs on the base and that would have cured the problem. I have used the Renzetti/Clemens lathes from day one. I have 2 of them and I love them. Just not this over priced drill chuck. Lily is sending me a new one because of my complaints. If it is no better than this one, it will be headed right back to them as well. I am not going to remove everything from the lathe bed just to be able to slide the chuck on from the far end of a 10 foot bed!!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster