I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smooth butts
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2013 01:53PM

Hi Guys

Wondering if there is any difference between the Smooth Butts from Janns and the smooth butts on mudhole Both Nylon ???

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smooth butts
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 23, 2013 03:40PM

Hello Bill.

They are not exactly the same, just break open that change purse of yours and by an 8" sample from both places, even you can afford that (they are both under $7.00 each).
They are both nylon but I don't know what the density is on them, the same on both or different on each.

Take it easy Bill.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2013 03:45PM

Batson also has them regular and slim size

Date: June 23, 2013 04:20PM

DOES AMY ONE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO ???

i WILL NOT - TAKE IT EASY -

I like MudHole I like all the products that are on there site A lot of choises I like the cart

BUT when I see a price DIFFERENCE that large
I have to ask

Are they the SAME One thicker then the other ???? Same Quality

I got an email

When I go Food Shopping I also look for price

Hay Bob I don't have your money Got many things i will not use and are a wast

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 05:05PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2013 05:29PM

Bill...

I am only guessing here...

But Bob's "Take it easy Bill" was only a valediction (a friendly send off at the end of a message...opposite of "salutation").

So seriously...take it easy. LoL

Date: June 23, 2013 06:04PM

I only wanted to know ( if the same product ) why the LARGE price difference

Simple -- At least I thought so

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 23, 2013 06:07PM

Sometimes a name brand matters. Sometimes price rules because there are safeguards in place to insure it meets certain standards. I'm not too concerned with the brand name on a bottle of aspirin. I wouldn't waste my labor and reputation on an unlabeled brand guide though.

To me Stuart equals "Tuff-Butt". If the extra couple of bucks mattered I'd consider using American Tackles "smooth butt". Given the labor to change one after the fact, I'm not going to use one with an unknown brand name regardless of price savings. Jann's may be a Pac Bay offfering but it doesn't clearly say it is.

Bill if money is everything go buy the cheap plastic pipe they use for lawn sprinklers. Several have reported acceptable results. As far as "if they are the same".......please, you have to know better.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 23, 2013 06:25PM

And builders wonder why I ask certain questions And if the answers don't make sense I question

I din't get answers !!!!

You are saying ( YOU DON'T KNOW )
Or you are not telling ???!!!

Are we playing games here Have a beer Smoke a J Injoy yourself

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 06:28PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 23, 2013 07:24PM

WOW !

What is going on here?

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2013 07:58PM

Bill,

If I were you I'd call Jann's and ask them who they source those butts from. Most likely they'll be happy to tell you.

Mud Hole certainly as the American Tackle version, and may also offer the Pacific Bay version as well.

Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: June 23, 2013 08:03PM

Smooth butts don't need liposuction!!

Seriously, What are smooth butts?

Don

Date: June 23, 2013 09:21PM

LoL, Don!

A smooth butt is a hard plastic butt typically used on trolling/standup rods. They make it easy to get the rod out of a rod holder with a fish pulling on the other end. They do exactly what an aluminum unibutt does, but in a more economical package.

I only use slick plastic butts on my personal saltwater standup rods.

As to the difference between the two companies listed...I'd have to call them to find out.

Date: June 24, 2013 12:40PM

hay Guys

Sorry for being a butt head
Been a bad couple of weeks Rent going up car needs work taking care of the sister
Guess it is all coming to a head

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 24, 2013 01:33PM

It's all good, Mr. Bill.

I know what you mean. We have a house closing this Friday...was supposed to be May 22...then June 20...then today...now June 28. That's two days before the end of the month...AND the weekend before Independence Day. They are playing havoc with our schedule to get us moved out of the rental before July 1. We've been round & round with the builder...finally came to a head last week when we had a BIG meeting at the property. They felt my displeasure......

Anyway...sometimes "life" happens.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster