I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power Wrapper Question
Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 20, 2013 01:44PM

I didn't get to much response to my question about a power wrapper when it was in another thread so I thought I would start a new topic and see if I can get more of a response.

With the Alps, Flexcoat or American Tackle Power Wrappers are there reverse switches on them or do you need to back them up by hand? Then another question is if you need to back them up by hand can you do this while working on say the tip portion of the blank?

Thanks

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power Wrapper Question
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2013 01:50PM

The easiest thing to do if there is no reverse switch is to just slip the belt off the chuck and then it is easy to work on the tip portion of the rod. A thread carriage like the Renzetti which has a spring wire for keeping tension on the thread makes this much easier.

Posted by: philip hardy (---.brhm.adsl.virginmedia.com)
Date: June 20, 2013 03:02PM

Has anyone tried to replicate/copy the Renzetti tensioner on another wrapper?
Philip

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2013 03:04PM

How hard it is to reverse direction by hand depends on the mechanical ratio of the pulleys involved. In most cases where commercial wrappers are concerned, you can back them up a few turns by hand fairly easily, even on the tip section (the same holds true for starting and tying off wraps by hand turning). As was mentioned earlier, slipping the belt off removes all resistance, if you need to back up very far, which is generally not necessary.

Date: June 20, 2013 04:23PM

Phillip, all you need is some spring quality wire and you can make your own.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2013 04:26PM

Chester,
My exact pet peeve with most of the commercial wrappers on the market ie. no reverse.

That is one of the main reasons that I currently use DC gear motors and DC power supplies, with a reverse switch to change direction on my wrapper motor.

A dc motor runs one direction when one voltage polarity Say + voltage is connected to motor post A. Then the other voltage polarity - is connected to motor post B.

To reverse direction, simply connect + voltage to post B, and - voltage to post A.

This is easily accommodated by the use of a double power double throw switch. Run the voltage wires in the end of the switch. Then, run an X cross over wire to the opposite end of the switch.
Wire the motor wires to the center terminals on the switch.

So, when the switch is in the first position, + voltage goes to motor terminal A. But if the switch is moved to the opposite positin, then the + voltage goes to motor terminal B. Thus the motor reverses when the switch is flipped.

A picture of an example of a wrapper system and supply sold to a client.

Date: June 20, 2013 05:22PM

I understand about the taking the belt off to take away the motor resistance, but if you working on the tip end the drive belt can be 6-8 feet away - not very convenient. I was just trying to understand if you could back up the rod blank while attached to the motor using very small mechanical advantage you get by rotating the blank while in the small diameter section (tip end).

Roger,
Do you have a good recommendation for a DC motor and power supply that would fit in place of the existing AC motor supplied by the commercial manufactures?

Randolph,
I've never bought spring wire, does it come in various size to you have proper tension by the spring while your thread is under load? What size would you recommend?

By the way, thanks for responding to my needs.

Chester

Date: June 20, 2013 05:33PM

I just measured the Renzetti spring and it was .0495 dia. I just got a new thread carriage from them and the spring wire is .0400, so I think anything in that range should work just fine.

Date: June 20, 2013 05:38PM

Thanks Randolph for the help, now I have a starting point when I add one to my hand wrapper or power wrapper in the future it that happens.

Chester

Date: June 20, 2013 05:49PM

Chester, when attempting to bend the spring wire you will have to anneal it, in other words you will have to heat it with a torch at the area you attempt to bend to fit a bolt or screw where you wish to hold the wire in place. You will have to do the same thing at the end you wish to bend into a hook, circle, or whatever shape where your thread is going to be. It is a good idea to polish this area with something like jewlers rouge and then clean with denatured alcohol so you don't contaminate your thread. good luck!!

Date: June 20, 2013 05:55PM

Thanks for the tips on the spring wire!

Chester

Date: June 21, 2013 03:45AM

Is there a picture of the Renzetti thread carrier I could look at?
Philip

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 21, 2013 04:20AM

Hi, Phil,
check your email

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Date: June 21, 2013 07:13AM

Thanks John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2013 08:33AM

Chester,
When using a DC gear motor - I have simply selected a 30 volt dc gear motor with a nominal speed of 500-1000 rpm.
I find that 1000 rpm is about as fast as I can wrap - even for the long butt wraps.

To control the speed, I use a 24 volt AC transformer, hooked to a 0-30 volt DC regulator.
I obtain the transformer locally, and the regulator on line for about $20.
For a foot pedal I use a rack and pinion style Wah pedal on line for about $30.
I put it all together into a box and mount it at the end of my wrapper bed. I put the reversing switch either into the power supply box, or at the end of a cable that may move up and down the bed with the wrapper.

One example of a wrapper supply, foot pedal and dc gear motor:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

The completed wrapper supply, and motor for the remote control dc power supply for a DC motor power for a rod wrapper:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2013 08:42AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (24.114.88.---)
Date: June 22, 2013 12:56PM

This seem to me to be a lot of fuss and worry over something that isn't really a problem.
There is a spring on most thread tensioners that will hold the thread tight as you back-up a short distance.
If you have to back up farther and exceed the range of the tension spring, you simply rewind the thread spool a bit to take up the slack.
This happens with the whip aerial type tensioners too, you just have more range before turning the spool by hand.

Yes...Turning the rod back against the motor gets harder as you reach the small end.
However, getting off your butt and taking a step toward the chuck will solve the problem.
Once you start using your power wrapper you will get used to these things...Don't over think the process!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster