I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drill press for shaping grips
Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2013 10:26AM

If a lathe is not an option now, is it possible to use a drill press to shape Eva grips?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drill press for shaping grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2013 10:50AM

Yes, in fact, a previous article in RodMaker showed how to adapt it to make a vertical lathe. I have also seen some folks lie the drill press on its side in this configuration.

A 2x4 block of wood, bored to accept a live center fairly well turns the press into a crude but functional lathe. One of the woodworking companies, Penn State I think, even offers a vertical tool rest to use on a drill press.

And there is always the Grizzly hobby lathe option, which is powered by an electric hand drill. It's not very much money but is entirely suitable for turning most grips.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-2.myvzw.com)
Date: June 19, 2013 11:19AM

Penn State had a kit for about $20 that has a live center and tool rest that will bolt to the drill press to convert it to a vertical lathe. I used one for years before I got a real lathe.

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (199.67.138.---)
Date: June 19, 2013 01:06PM

Not sure how well they work for eva but there are some photos of "drill lathes" in the photo section. To Tom's point they are pretty crude but effective with cork in my experience.

Posted by: Jeremy Johnson (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 19, 2013 04:52PM

I am still using Scott's PSI drill press attachment to this day as a matter of fact. It works great for the 10 or so handles a year I turn on it. I just lay my small drill press on its side and its almost like a real lathe. I can do cork and eva just fine. Swampland has mandrels in different diameters that accept the live center. It's a great starter without the huge price of a lathe, especially if you already have a drill press. Thanks again Scott!

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2013 06:22PM

This is what I have, Works Very well with TK Mandrels

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 06:33PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2013 08:27PM

I had been in the market for a while wanting to get a lathe for grip turning. Was ready to pull the trigger when I saw an article about using a drill press for turning grips. Got a set of mandrels
and made a base jig and gave it a shot since I had a drill press in my shop. So far it works great! Not in the market for a lathe any more.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2013 11:32PM

Jeremy Johnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am still using Scott's PSI drill press
> attachment to this day as a matter of fact.

Glad it's still working out for you Jeremy. I knew it went to someone on here, but I couldn't remember who.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.192.---)
Date: June 21, 2013 05:34PM

I use my drill press to turn cork and poly/foam reel seat shims into seats and ramps, and it works well, although I expect not as well as a real lathe. One thing I've done is to sink a 5/16" bore ball bearing into a piece of wood which is then clamped to the "bed" of the drill press. This stabilizes the lower end of a turning mandril made from threaded rod on which the cork or shim is mounted. It is also possible to turn the shims into ramps by just cutting the shim to the length you want, then hand turning a 9/32 drill into the bore of shim, mounting the drill into the drill press, and turning them with sandpaper.

I have used the Penn State device with good success. Nothing more substantial than cork.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2013 02:49PM

You can use anything that turns the handle material at the speed you want, it doesn't make any difference whether it is vertical or horizontal. You just need to be able to do your shaping the way you want it to end up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster