I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps Power Chuck Problems
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 18, 2013 08:00PM

Some people are saying that the Alps Power Chuck comes lose as in the self centering jaw that grips the rod will loosen after changing direction has anybody had any problems like this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps Power Chuck Problems
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 18, 2013 08:14PM

The new ones have a set screw that locks the jaws in place...I have zero issues when I remember to lock it down.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 18, 2013 08:23PM

That sounds cool I was thinking of getting the Alps for my Custom Power Wrapper and the set screw sound like it will work thanks.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 18, 2013 08:28PM

Hello Glenn.

I have an older model and YES it did come loose till I drilled 3 holes in the first ring and threaded them for a set screws now it won't come loose.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 18, 2013 08:50PM

I take the Alps Power Wrap has a reversing feature, is that true. Also how easy are they to turn back by hand? My concern is working at say the top 1/2 of the rod (near the tip) can you turn the rod blank by hand to back it up to clear a thread mistake?

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 18, 2013 09:08PM

I installed mine on an American Tackle wrapper without a reverse feature, The first time I noticed it loosen was while the drying motor was on.....the rod fell after it had been drying about an hour...luckily I was there and was able to fix it.....I will never forget to set the set screw again.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2013 12:09PM

Mine comes loose a lot. It does not have the set screw. I've found that when I've got it in the drying mode, that if I only one use one of the rod supports it stays tight.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 12:39PM by Steve Hartzell.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2013 08:51AM

By the way, for any chuck that has an issue in coming loose, try two different things.
a. Take a size 64 rubber band and wrap it around the butt of the rear grip a few times before putting it into the chuck. Also, if you put the bank on the grip before doing any turning, you find that the chuck grips better and leaves no marks on the grip.

b. Take a size 64 rubber band and put it around the jaws of the chuck a couple of times, before putting the grip into the chuck. As you open the chuck, you stretch the rubber band. Then, the pressure of the bands pull the jaws close and keep them closed.

Another option is to remove a chuck from a wrapper that does not stay close and throw it far far away. Then you never have an issue with the chuck.

Consider replacing the chuck with a Taig chuck. Very well made, does not come loose, and with the aluminum jaws, does an excellent job of holding a rod butt. The only issue is to have matching threads on your wrapper head stock.
You may have to have a machine shop turn an adapter to be able to go from your current head stock - to the new Chuck. An even better idea is to remove the head stock shaft from your current head stock and replace it with one, that has the right set of threads (3/4 -16) on the end.

[www.taigtools.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster