I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster One
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 18, 2013 12:41PM

Yesterday I was following the thread on One Part Finishes and Bucky Allen posted a response about Threadmaster One clouding up when wet. I have been testing Threadmaster One and had a test wrap that was about a month old. When I test wrap, I overlap each end of the wrap to insure no water can enter. I also had a Lumiseal test wrap of the same age on the same test piece. I submerged these test wraps in water for four hours. When I examined the test wraps, I found the lumiseal unchanged, but the Threadmaster One all gray. When i checked The Threadmster finish it lifted off the thread. On both the CP side and no CP side on the guide behaved in the same way. As far as I can tell, theThreadmaster One had not bonded with either the thread or the blank.

I hope others will test Threadmster One before using it. I suspect that Scott will have to do some more testing as well. I will do so as well just to be sure I haven't made any errors.

Mike Blomme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster One
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2013 01:43PM

Submerging a rod in water for four hours might not be the best test. While it would take longer, a better approximation of a finish's durability and longevity might be simply place the rod outside in the weather for a couple months, which might come closer to approximating what the rod could be expected to endure over say, a few seasons of actual use. I'm not sure that Threadmaster One, nor any other wrap finish, is actually designed to be submerged under water for hours on end.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 18, 2013 01:55PM

Michael,
i tested it after expo 2012.
I coated blank sections with cp and non cp over various color threads with it.
left same out for 15 months now and if you let the first coat set it works for me.
Froze it, got many days over 100 ( i live in the Delta).
Got it all wet and very dry.
Does NOT have UV protection properties but then Scott will tell you that.
Not a squirrel repellant.
But it works well enough for me to use.
So do many other finishes, regular rod building and 'other use' products.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.74.---)
Date: June 18, 2013 02:12PM

Well if it doesn't repel squirrels....

A 4 hour submerging test isn't that extreme. There are plenty of fishing conditions (rain, waves) that keep a rod totally wet for longer than that. And there times when you have tostick the rod into the water (working the line around obstacles like engines or to obtain a particular action on a lure).

Date: June 18, 2013 02:18PM

Totally wet and submerged aren't the same thing. I have camera equipment that will function perfectly for hours on end in a driving rain, but would be totally ruined if submerged under water for even a few minutes.

Withstanding a 4 hour submerging isn't likely to have been in the design parameters. A few seconds or even minutes at a time, perhaps, but not 4 hours. I'll let Scott respond to this particular aspect.

Posted by: Scott D parsons (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: June 18, 2013 03:14PM

Can't say I have tried that test, but as Tom said that is not what it was designed for. I have 5 or 6 rods I use regularly in saltwater conditions and have not had a problem with them for going on just over 1 year. It must be applied in thin coats, or it can have a tendency to get cloudy. It is not the be all and end all for rod finishes but it definitely has a spot in the market. Thank you for your post and I will keep testing it as well.
Thank you
Scott Parsons

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 18, 2013 04:33PM

Hi Scott,
My test may have been too extreme, but Bucky Allen tested his by placing it on a table and letting a sprinkler wet it. He didn't say how long it was exposed. I will try to simulate the conditions I usually find along the Oregon Coast and see if it clouds up. My test wraps were one month old and should have cured. What I was most concerned about was the lack of absorption. the finish simply lifted off of the wrap in one piece. Let me know what your own testing shows. Thanks,

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2013 05:21PM

four hours under water is a little extreme, however other post have said that just exposure to water would produce the same results . Does not sound good to me, but I will test it like I do every other finish on the market. Test wraps on the back yard fence for a couple months. I won't put it on a rod until fully tested!!! Nor will I put any other on until I test it.

Date: June 18, 2013 06:10PM

Exposure to water or moisture won't produce the same result. When you submerge an item you're also subjecting it to pressure. Water that would otherwise run off in a rain, even a downpour, can and often is forced into an item when actually submerged.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: June 18, 2013 06:36PM

Still pretty cool to pour a 1 part into a cup and get to work.

Hopefully development continues as I think this is a sweet little product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 06:36PM by Adam Curtis.

Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 19, 2013 02:23PM

Hi guys the problem was brought to my attention by a couple of customers who bass fish. They were fishing a tournament in the rain and every wrap clouded up. My first test I submerged the test wraps and thought that would be to harsh so I took a second blank did several wraps and also coated just the blank let it cure for about 4 days placed it on my table out side and let the sprinklers run in about 30 min all wraps started to haze up and get soft. They did clear up. That being said I really like the way it goes on and levels and will continue to test it like Scott said thinner coats.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2013 07:04PM

I think the problem may be in the fact that this is a water based one part finish. I think it is possible that when it has exposure to water for a few hours, like fishing in rain or spray from waves , it gets softened by the water. I am going to test some after letting it cure for a week and then putting out in the rain. We have plenty of that here in the Pacific North Wet. I will see if it gets cloudy and soft after a few hours out in the rain.

Posted by: James Carnes (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2013 10:09AM

About two weeks ago, I refinishied and rewrapped two old split bamboo surf rods for a guy. I put Carsons water based CP over the wraps and 24 hrs later used Threadmaster one finish, about three coats applied 12 - 24 hrs apart. After about two weeks curing time I called the customer and told him his rods were ready. He was supposed to pick them up on Friday so I put them out on my side screen porch. He didn't show up yet and this morning ( Sunday ), almost all the guide wraps have turned a cloudy, milky white color. WTH, never had this before . What should I do It's very humid outside with thunderstorms for the last five days? Will the guide wraps clear up after putting the back in my house?

James Carnes
Osprey Custom Fishing Rods
Charlotte, North Carolina
www.ospreycustomfishingrods.com
704-589-9601

Posted by: Alex Pineda (---.222.92.159.dsl.dyn.telnor.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 08:25PM

so, what its the final consensus of the product?

is it good to use after all this years (from the thread date) or its much better to mix 3cc of 2-part epoxic use the needed and trow the rest 2cc (I just hate to waste 2-part finish when repairing just one guide

Posted by: Alex Pineda (---.222.92.159.dsl.dyn.telnor.net)
Date: December 05, 2016 08:26PM

so, what its the final consensus of the product?

is it good to use after all this years (from the thread date) or its much better to mix 3cc of 2-part epoxic use the needed and trow the rest 2cc (I just hate to waste 2-part finish when repairing just one guide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster