I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod bags
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 17, 2013 11:17AM

Hi Guys

What is the formula for measuring the pockets for a rod bag

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod bags
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2013 12:38PM

Bill,

If I were making one, I would measure the distance from the back of the rod (or handle if some of the handle will slide into the pocket) to the top of the tallest guide on the section (for a spinning rod), and multiply by pi. This will give the circumference of a circle around the rod at that point (The actual perimeter should be a tad less). Then divide by two since you have two layers of fabric, presumably. This will give you the minimum distance needed between the seams. Tack things and check. If you need a bit more, and add a little fudge space if needed.

For casting or fly rods, use the same procedure, but measure to the back of the handle or trigger, if need be.

It probably wouldn't hurt to add a quarter to half inch to the distance between the seams to make the fit close but a little loose, especially if you are not making the bag yourself.

Joe

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (216.52.207.---)
Date: June 17, 2013 03:58PM

Somewhere I have some information for a lady who custom makes them....colors, Initials, embroidered...etc. Let me know if interested....If i recall, she was very reasonable.

Date: June 17, 2013 05:20PM

I was looking around for about a week Doing searches
Finally went to REC Plus they are are just a little north of me Better shipping charges
Had the length I needed and a bag to fit they will make

because of shipping charges I look for suppliers close
One very good maker had shipping about 25.00 REC a lot cheaper

Also like Utmost They fly it in to Jersey Seems plane fuel is cheaper then gasoline on ground shipping Plus they deal in Batson products

If I remember right PI is 3.14 ?????

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 05:56PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: June 17, 2013 06:05PM

Pie are round!! Cornbread are square!!
At least it is in Arkansas!

Date: June 17, 2013 06:22PM

Bill

Don't remember my math from High School - Been a long time ??? LOL

PIE was always a round thing backed in the oven

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 06:23PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2013 10:01AM

Bill,
For spinning rods, I make the pockets 2/12 inches wide to allow for the height of the first guide.

For casting rods, I make the pockets 1 1/2 inches wide to 2 inches wide depending on the trigger handle width.

This is the finished distance between the two seams on the flat folded fabric.

Pretty simple and straight forward.

If in doubt, lay the fabric down, lay the rod on the fabric, put a rod of pins down the length of the rod just outside the rods.

Then, sew the fabric together, about 1/2 inch larger than the row of pins to allow for some expansion and ease of insertion.

For quick and simple cutting, I use a yard stick and circle cutter for clean even cuts down the length of the fabric.

After you have made 50-100 bags, you can knock one out in about 3 minutes. This is especially true, if you stack your fabric, and cut 10-20 layers of fabric at the same time. The cutting takes the time for making the bags.

Date: June 18, 2013 12:20PM

I wish I had the room I found a sawing machine in the front of a neighbors house that they were throwing away Took the peddle off and got rid of the rest

And it worked seemed alright ???LOL --nice to have a shop LOL
having the bag done by REC

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 18, 2013 12:27PM

Hi all, I have a retired lady in Wisconsin that makes rod socks and lure protectors for me, she only charges $3 for the socks and they have a reel slot and an elastic band to hold it on....if you want her info drop me an email.

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2013 11:47AM

In making the spinning and casting rod bag what material do you find best to use for the bag?

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 11:48AM by corky fleming.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2013 06:21PM

Corky,
I like to use a material that is stiff on its own right. i.e. a stiffer and thinner material allows rods to more easily slip into the bag.
If you use a thicker or softer material that is limp - it is more difficult to insert the rod.

I tend to use a midweight nylon for the bags.

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2013 08:45AM

Thank you roger

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster