I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Reel Question
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2013 12:04PM

Building first fly rod which is IF-866 and i was doing some searches and i see that you be alright to use a reel one size bigger than the rod wt. So if i get a 203M reel rated 7/8 wt, do i get 6wt line or 7 wt line?

Thanks,
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Reel Question
Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: June 14, 2013 12:38PM

You can put any weight line you want on that reel. You may be able to put a little more backing on the reel with the lighter weight lines.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2013 02:08PM

By the model number of that blank, it sounds like it is rated for a "6wt" line, depending on your casting style and the distance you are going to need or want to cast, your going to have to play around with a couple of different lines until you find what suits your needs. Some people like to over line a blank by one weight high, some like to use the rated line for it, its all based on you, what will feel the most comfortable for you. I have an older Pac Pay IGFA 866, very similar to what you have, in that Batson blank. I like mine with either a 6wt WF 333 Pro or Western Drifter, both are Cortland Lines, if I am going to be working in close, less than say 30ft, a DT6 (444SL) works great. The Double Taper lines tend to be a bit heavier in the first 30ft than a corresponding WF Line, but again this is me, this is something you'll need to figure out for yourself, and remember, don't blame the blank if it does not cast right, its either you or the line in most cases. I would advise you to visit a shop and see if the have some lines you can play around with before spending the money. Most fly shops are very happy to let someone do this.

As far as picking a reel, I would start with a reel that has an outside diameter between 3" and 3.5", what you are looking for is "balance", you don't want the reel to under weight or over weight the rod when casting. Again, this is something that once you have put a couple of reels on it (with line and backing if possible), the one you want is the one that just feels right when in your hand. Best to find a reel that is rated for 5/6wt lines. There are a ton of the out there and even some of the lesser priced reels are still decent and will hold up just fine if you take care of them. The Cabelas RLS+ is one example of a good value. I personally like the Bauer and Galvan stuff, USA made and they stand behind their stuff. Orvis also has some very good reels, even their lesser priced ones are good.

Good luck and enjoy that blank!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 14, 2013 02:46PM

What you see on the reel is only a suggestion. You may find that a larger reel benefits you in several areas, including better retrieve ratio (OD of the full spool counts, ID is immaterial - don't fall for the large arbor myth), better balance on a longer rod, etc.

I'd select the reel that feels best to you on the rod, then load it (fully) with whatever line you're going to use on the rod.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 14, 2013 03:53PM

I would suggest that a beginning fly fisherman join a fly fishing club which provides casting instruction or engage the services of a certified casting instructor before buying a fly fishing outfit or building one. Doing so will quite likely save money and frustration. Casting and fishing with a fly rod is a whole lot different than casting or fishing with a spinning rod or a bait casting rod. Learning what you want and how it works before you buy it is a sensible first step.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster