I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Want to build a flipping stick
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 01:28AM

I want to build a flipping stick but I do not want to go the rod building kit way does anyone know how this is done or know where I can find any info on making one.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Want to build a flipping stick
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2013 08:28AM

I'm not really sure what you're asking. You'd search and find the blank that suits you and then pick the components you want on it. A kit is simply something where someone has already done the same thing for you.

Posted by: Patrick James (12.238.180.---)
Date: June 13, 2013 08:29AM

7'6" or 7'11" Medium-Medium heavy, fast action blank, something in the 12-20 lb range. I like the FS905T from MHX myself. The rest is up to you.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 12:20PM

Hi Glenn,

Figure out what blank you want first. Are you flipping sparse cover or heavy?

For sparse I really like my MHX MB874. It says its a frog rod, which it will do but I also like it flipping. AND, if you need a 1/2oz or 1oz jig rod for deep water this blank will handle that. Nice versatility, great price and I've caught more than enough fish on mine to know it performs.

You should get some great answers here, especially with a few more details.

Posted by: Doug Lockwood (---.lightspeed.whtnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 01:36PM

I am assuming you are new to rod building.
I started 30 years ago with instructions from the Flex Coat "Step by Step Rodbuilding" Book.
A local shop helped me select the handle, guides, etc.

If you do not want a kit, but its your first rod, many of the sponsors listed on the left are willing to help pick components to create a custom kit.
Call one of them up and let them walk you through the process.

HTH

Doug

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 04:38PM

Sorry to disappoint you Doug but I started in the low 1980‘s like you and I took a break after Clemmons died and rod building kind of took turn of interest for me. I just started back up into rod building in about 2004 but in all my years I have never built a flipping rod and I lived on the Calif Delta most of those years until about 2008. I just want to learn how to build a flipping stick piece by piece not with a rod kit. Looking for a 8ft Heavy action IM6 or better and it needs to be telescopic so that it can fit in the rod rack not just laying on the boat deck.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2013 06:09PM

Dale Clemens isn't dead, at least not of 6PM this evening.

Posted by: Doug Lockwood (---.lightspeed.whtnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 06:20PM

Glen,
Not disappointed in the slightest.
Sorry for the bad assumption.
I see why you wouldn't find a rod kit acceptable.
I haven't built a flipping stick either, so I will watch with interest.

Good luck with your build.

Doug

Posted by: Austin K McWhorter (---.amrlcmtk01.tx.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 06:34PM

I use the MHX FS904, great rod blank

A MAC Custom Built Rods
www.amacrods.com

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2013 11:04AM

FS966T-MHX -- 8' Hvy Power Flippin -- Telescopic

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: June 14, 2013 09:17PM

OH boy it seems like I am in the odd as it seems like everybody but me want to use a rod building kit.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: June 14, 2013 10:13PM

Take the time to give Lance at Swampland Tackle (on the left) a call. He'll get you set up with what you need.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2013 10:28PM

Since Loomis composites is now North Fork, I am not sure if they still make my favorite flippin' stick blank, but it was great!! It had an 18" fiberglass butt to build the handle on, and the graphite blank telescoped up from the handle and friction fit into place. Outstanding set up, and I caught a 20# steelhead on one while having lunch on the river and just letting a plug play in the current at the back of the drift boat. It was a multi-purpose rod with plenty of backbone but a nice sensitive tip. That's what I would go for. Sorry to hear about Dale's demise, but happy to hear about the resurrection!! ;>)

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 15, 2013 05:24PM

I don't see where anyone above suggested you purchase a kit. You were given many different models as suggestions on what blank you could choose from.

Choose the blank you want. Select the guides you want to use and then pick out a set of grips and reel seat, cork or EVA then put everything together, add finish then catch some bass.

Date: June 15, 2013 05:40PM

I am want to build a telescopic filpping rod not a 8 foot full section rod.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2013 10:01PM

sorry I suggested the North fork site, I tried it and you can't find anything worthwhile about the blanks they make. Not a very good site for rod builder in my opinion.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2013 10:40PM

Glenn,

Bob's recommendation looks to be about perfect for your task without a need for modification, assuming you are looking for the traditional 1+ flipping stick where there is only one telescoping joint. If you are looking for something a bit more exotic, you can find a 6'6"-7' blank with a moderate to moderate fast action with the power you need. and then fit an over sleeve extension for the butt section to extend to 8'. This would likely involve trimming the blank you start with from one or both ends to get the action and power you need. Swampland likely has something suitable.

If you are looking for a telescoping rod with multiple sections, I wouldn't recommend it. The use of one guide per section is going to result in a broken rod when used for extracting fish from heavy cover. The tip sections just won't take the stress.

Joe

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 15, 2013 11:10PM

I have built myself a heavy flippin stick and really like it a lot. I used the MHX FS966T-MHX -- 8' Hvy Power Flippin -- Telescopic.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.host.ussignalcom.net)
Date: June 17, 2013 07:18PM

Check out the American Tackle Bushido flipping blank...you won't be disappointed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster