I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim bands with NCP
Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2013 11:34PM

I'll be starting my first build this week. I was planning on doing black wraps and blue trim bands. However I failed to order metallic thread for the trim and ordered NCP. will the bands stand out or blend in? I'm using midnight black and cobalt blue? Also if I was going to use metallic can I grab some at the craft store?

Thanks in advance

CF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim bands with NCP
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 02:29AM

Sulky Metallic thread has a beautiful dark blue and is available in most craft/ sewing shops.

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 13, 2013 04:00AM

G'day Chris

The metallics definitely look better in my opinion.Fishhawk do a nice silk sparkle that looks pretty nice as well.

cheers

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 02:01PM

Chris, I am just completing the wraps on a rod that I am doing in regular black and Fishhawk Neon green NCP. I wasn't sure about it until after the first couple of guides, but it is a very striking combination and looks great after a couple coats of CP. I think it will look fantastic after the finish is put on. To me. lighter metalics with black thread will stand out much better than a dark metallic.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 02:10PM

You put CP on regular black ?? I have found no CP on black looks a lot better then with
Hope it comes out nice
With the NCP trim you probably could have just finished it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 13, 2013 02:27PM

It looks better than it did before the CP!!

Date: June 13, 2013 02:53PM

With regular black nylon and NCP trim it may just look better with just finish

Try it on a piece of scrap blank

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 13, 2013 03:28PM

Bill, I have tested more CP's and finishes over the past 42 years in every configuration than you could ever imagine. I know what works and what doesn't. CP gives regular black thread a darker, bolder look.

Date: June 13, 2013 04:22PM

Sorry

I have seen With out cp regular black to have a more Black Look With CP a more Purple Look

Maybe just me ???

Do a search HERE on black and using CP on it

then again you save yourself a step

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2013 04:25PM by bill boettcher.

Date: June 13, 2013 05:07PM

Bill, nothing to be sorry about!! I did the testing on every product that Ralph O'Quinn (trondak) made before they ever hit the market. Ralph came to me to do the testing. When we first met, he wanted to know how I got such a high build finish on my rods and gave me samples of his one part finish that later became Perma Gloss. After he found out what I used for the high build he had me test well over 1 dozen different variations of what is now known as Dura Gloss before I told him that he had nailed it!! I tested against every product made during the 70's and '80's. I left wraps on the back fence in full sun, rain, etc for over a year. I took samples of the wraps with comparisons of other Mfg's. products to 3 different AFTMA shows. I have done my testing. :>) Randy

Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 08:26PM

David Gilberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sulky Metallic thread has a beautiful dark blue
> and is available in most craft/ sewing shops.

I found it today, thanks David.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.99-50-210.dynamic.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: June 15, 2013 06:19AM

I have been using ncp for trims lately with great subtle effects I use a light grey with black which looks classy and a neon orange with my label of the same colour. Im really starting to like the look plus its a lot nicer to wrap than metallic.

That said that blue may be a little to close to black do a test wrap and wet it you will see a pretty close representation of what it will look like finished also take it outside in sunlight you might be surprised how good and classy it could look.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster