I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice of Salmon Guides and Reel Seat
Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 10:28AM

Hi guys, this will be my first Salmon Blank for a customer who will be fishing in the northwest. I have decided to go with the ST1143-MHX (9'6" - 2 pc) for a blank but I am looking for some help on which guides to use. He will be mainly fishing from shore, but might do the occasional mooching.

Also wondering your thoughts on the best Reel Seat, thanks!

Thanks so much in advance,
Scott

"My biggest fear in life is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 10:50AM by Scott Backholm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice of Salmon Guides
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 10:30AM

What type of reel will he be using?

Re: Advice of Salmon Guides and Reel Seat
Date: June 10, 2013 10:35AM

Great question! I actually am waiting to hear back from him on that peice of info. I prob should have waited to post this, thanks!

Date: June 10, 2013 11:10AM

Scott, I am just finishing wrapping the guides on a 10.5 foot salmon rod right now for a conventional reel and have made a few (quite a few) salmon rods over the years, so I will be happy to furnish any info I a able to.

Date: June 10, 2013 11:15AM

Thanks so much Randolph I really appreciate it. I am about 95% sure he will be using a spinning reel.

Date: June 10, 2013 03:25PM

Well, it may be more difficult getting that info than I thought. It is a gift so the client cant really ask him. I do know its a spinning reel though so I guess I would like to build for whatever you guys think would be an average spinning reel for this set up.So, having said that, any recommendations on a reel seat and/or guides would be very much appreciated.

Scott

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 03:35PM

I think your customer would be happier with a heavier blank like the 1144 or the SA1085.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: June 10, 2013 04:55PM

I accidentally built an ST1022-MHX last year - I ordered the ST1023 but didn't notice I received the wrong blank until it was already on the turner.
I built it for chucking up to 1/2oz spoons to Pinks and Coho in slower moving water, and although I found it it too light for salmon over 10 lbs, it is really nice for the smaller varieties. Note it has an ERN of 10.4 and AA of 75.
I used AmTak Aero 16-CF reel seat and PacBay M guides using 22X spacing to 4mm micros for runners.

If I were building it again I would go with the ST1023 for a little extra backbone when by-catching larger fish.
If he is fishing faster water or specifically targetting Chinook or large Chums you should probably go heavier yet.

Date: June 10, 2013 04:57PM

Thanks Spencer, much appreciated. as I said this is my first salmon rod so I will yield to the people with knowledge. Thanks again!

Date: June 10, 2013 05:01PM

Thanks Rick, based on Spencers advice I am looking for a tougher blank as well. So from what I see the biggest difference between the ST1023 and the ST1144F is the length, is 8'6" a big enough blank?

Thanks again
Scott

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: June 10, 2013 06:35PM

It depends what you are trying to do. A longer rod will allow you to cast a bit further and will be able to absorb more shocks (fish running towards or away, head shakes, etc).
I can cast 150 feet all day with a 1/2oz spoon with the 8'6" rod. Previously I used a 7' rod so 8'6" was a big upgrade. I don't see a need to go longer.
The "4" power rod will be significantly more power and a bit less sensitive. It may have difficulty casting lighter lures.

Date: June 10, 2013 06:45PM

perfect advice Rick, thanks. Think i will go with the ST 1023.

Thanks again!
Scott

Date: June 10, 2013 07:10PM

Guides and reel seat depend a lot on what the customer is willing to lay out for the rod. As far as length and line/lure weight it somewhat depends on what he will be casting. I prefer a rod of 9.5 to 10.5' in length for casting. an 8-9' rod will work just fine for mooching and or trolling. I am also making a 7' rod just for Buzz Bomb fishing from a boat, but from shore with the same lure I like the longer rod. Personal preference has a lot to do with what you make. try to find out as much information as you can.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 08:03PM

I'll second the point of getting as much info about the end user's preferences about how, where, & what he targets most.

It's really nice to give a rod as a gift but it can be disappointing to both the giver and the user if the rod isn't quite what he likes to use per the power, action, length, & such.

That said, the only good advice about rod specs I can offer is...if he targets the larger salmon like Chinook (Kings) and is casting from shore mostly, I like a 1023 or 1025 with a lean to the 1025 as it's heavier power provides the muscle for the BIG ones 30lbs & up. Look at blanks in the 10-17 or 12-20lb line rating. I like the 8.6ft but some really like the 9-10ft'rs.

As for guides I would think a 25 - 16 - 10 - 6-6-6-6-6-6- 6tip would work well under most conditions with a large variety of reels & lines. With enough info you can tailor a guide train with the best performance within a more specific reel & line.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: June 10, 2013 08:08PM

Randolph and Ray, thanks so much, good info!

Scott

Date: June 10, 2013 08:15PM

Raymond, good advice! Once the rod is made, even if to the exact specifications of the customer and he or she is disappointed in the performance, all you can do is make minor changes or make another rod. Either way it is going to cost the customer. When someone disregards your advice and insists on something, it doesn't become your problem if you advised them otherwise.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 08:22PM

The blank your looking at would be ok for steelhead or small coho, but get a decent fish on and good luck. Google this XST102 2 MT. XST 105 2MT, and XST 120 2MT. If you like what you see the 1444 which has the same type design will be a good choice. Trolling and mooching take the heavier blank as does anchor fishing with kwikfish.
The factory rods are all made in spinning versions by Lamiglas s there is a guide siz and spacig chart.
X 86 MTS, X 89 MTS, and X10MTS or MTC google seach for more info.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 08:40PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: June 10, 2013 08:40PM

Spencer, that is not exactly correct. I made an International 6# test rod for a famous fisherman who I will not name for his sake, and he caught up to 75# sailfish on it around Christmas Island. I personally have caught 20# steelhead on 12# test and a 49# King Salmon on 17# line. Both fish were caught on the same rod. A Lamiglas GSH 114 2M rated for 8# - !2# test line. Using lighter rods, drag setting and experience are what matters most. If casting heavy lures then the heavier rod makes sense.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster