I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flocked Shrink Wrap
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 09:21AM

A friend has one of the original Browning Tennessee Handle rods from the mid 1980's. He loves this rod for
fishing shaky heads on Lake Lanier for spotted bass, It is pretty well used, and so far I have stripped the guides
and finish. Going to put Microwaves on it. Also, the handle is pretty ratty, and I am going to sand it down and repaint it.

He was asking about attaching the reel using some heat shrink. Has anyone ever used the Flocked heat shrink from
either ATC or Batson to hold a spinning reel in place? Normally he uses tape, but does not want that now. I know you can
use Steve Gardner's method from his Vibronic design, but he does not want the reel to be so "permanently" attached.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

Bert Nagy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flocked Shrink Wrap
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: June 10, 2013 07:55PM

I've tried it. Whether or not it works well enough to hold a reel comes down to the piece of shrink tube size and the grip size. You want the tube to really pull down tight. If the tube is too large or the grip too small, or both, you don't get enough tension to trust it to hold the reel in place. Take a short two inch section of the tube you plan to use and shrink it off the grip. Then compare the final shrunken diameter to that of the grip OD. If it's a good bit smaller than the grip then you're good to go. If not, don't trust it and get different diameter tubing. The reel isn't going to fall off but you need enough tension to keep it from slipping side to side.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 10:11PM

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply. the tube is .93 inches, and the Batson X flock comes in .98 and 1.18 inch. Was thinking of getting the 1.18 because of the reel foot. Also, was going to put a couple of wraps of fiberglass wrapping tape to anchor the reel. Have you tried that combination??

Bert

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: June 10, 2013 10:14PM

Haven't tried that but it sounds like a good idea.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.99-50-210.dynamic.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: June 15, 2013 06:10AM

Might consider putting the shrink wrap on before the stripper guide goes on or you may not be able to use a shrink wrap that will come down tight enough to hold a reel and fit over a reasonably high MWG stripper. I have never done it before just a thought.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: June 17, 2013 03:27PM

Ken, I have done this in the past using automotive heat shrink. I found that it holds much better if you do it with 2 layers of tubing one at a time. Lynn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster