I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel rod built on 10 wt 4 pcs fly blank
Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: June 09, 2013 08:59AM

First of all, i would like to thank you guys for the great site. The information here is priceless. So far i was able to find all the answers i needed. Today this will be my first post. I cannot find anywhere information about building travel rod on fly blank.
I want to build a 4 pcs rod on 9 ft 4 pcs 10 wt blank. The blank is Anglers Roost, ultra high modulus graphite UHM12. Blank is rated as 10 wt.
My questions are:
1. Will it be capable to cast lures up to 1 oz?
2. What line i can safely use on this blank? I plan to use mono 12-15 lbs or braid 20-30 lbs test.

I am planning to build it as a spinning rod using either Fuji KR Concept layout or New Concept.
The rod will be used in a saltwater environment from the shore. The reel Pfluger or Quantum in 40 series, spool diameter 55-56 mm.
Intended species- whatever i can get there. But the waters there hold some tarpon of good size, seen 50-60 pounders before. I want this rod to be capable to handle fish of this side if it happens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel rod built on 10 wt 4 pcs fly blank
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: June 09, 2013 10:01AM

I built a spinning rod out of a 4 piece 10wt fly rod blank. It's great for travelling-I go every year to Alaska. A couple of observations...

-1oz lure weight will be pushing it. The largest I've thrown are 5/8 oz pixies. I honestly think 1 oz is too much.

-Your mono line weight is about right. I use 14 lb with mine. Your braid sounds too heavy.

-It will not handle like a normal spinning rod-the action is much slower (and I used a fast action IM8 10wt blank)

-You need to fight the fish with a bit of finesse. It will handle like a fly rod under load, meaning it will bend deeper into the butt than an equivalent spinning rod.

-While I have landed dozens of 12-16 pound salmon with mine, a 20 pound salt water fish will be about the limit for this rod unless you fish very light drag settings

-Maybe if 50lb fish are your target, consider a heavier rod.

-Fuji K guides are great. I used KLs for the reduction guides and KTs for the runners.

Good luck, for my needs the 4 piece is gold, and works extremely well.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2013 10:20AM by Drew Pollock.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 09, 2013 10:31AM

Sergiy

I have read similar posts on this forum before. If I remember correctly it is generally thought that the fly rod line weight ratings convert to 1/16th's oz. spinning rod / mono lure weight ratings (give or take a little). 10wt = 10 16ths or 5/8 oz lure weight, a 12wt = 3/4 oz lure weight, etc. I'm sure a search of the forum would turn up lots of answers to your question.

Rog

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: June 09, 2013 11:36AM

Thanks guys. 50 lbs fish is not a target for this rod, but it is possible. I have different shorter and stiffer travel rod, 7 ft 3 pcs. TFO in 20-50 lbs range. The casting weight, however, is what i am looking at. I stated lure in original post, but really should have said "casting weight". Lets refrase it- the lead and bait totalling to 1 oz. If throwing lures- probably up to 3/4 oz, small spoons or topwater poppers. I also may use rod here in Ontario Canada for casting spoons for fall run of salmon and steelhead.
Also, I will not have warranty for the blank since it will be used not as intended.
What are your thoughts?
Are there any other travel spinning 4 pcs blanks I can look at? Cost effective, becase shipping to Canada is a killer.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 09, 2013 02:28PM

There is the 3 & 4 piece travel salmon/steelhead blanks at Anglers Workshop. The TSH86MH-4 is rated 8 to 20 lb line, up to 3/8 to 1 oz lure weight. There is also a 3 piece, 9 ft blank for heavier lures designed for salmon.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 09, 2013 03:18PM

The many years obsolete (but best we have) AFTMA rating for a 10 weight rod stipulated that the 30' head of a ten weight line weighed from 270-290 grains, which amounts to an average casting weight of .64 ounces. This indicates your blank will perform best casting a weight of 2/3 of an ounce. Modern high-modulus blanks can accommodate a wide range of casting weights, but their performance decreases with the extent of variation from the ideal rated weight. Still, since you have a new blank the chances are the manufacturer deliberately underrated the blank by one or two line weights, which means your blank may well perform best casting 4/5 of an ounce. Modern fly rod blank ratings are both outdated and contra-inflated, rendering them pretty much useless.
How big a fish can be landed by any blank is still up to the angler and the fish, or your team of gaff men if you seek a USGFA line-weight world record.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.216.---)
Date: June 10, 2013 05:46PM

You can use any pound test line on any rod. It is the drag setting that will be important. I often use 35 # braid on rods rated at less than 20, but I don't have the drag cranked way up. Most reels won't do it anyway.

One tip on a travel spin, unless casting distance is a big priority, you might want to consider a low guide design so you don't have to have such large diameter tubes for the rod. That first guide on some designs can really get high. V guides instead of Y and higher.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 03:56PM

For 10 years i was fishing from the bank in salt water at ROLLOVER PASS with long spinning rods(over 10' ) built by me on fly blank ALL STAR AUSTIN w 10,or i was changing some fly rods(SAGE RPLX W 10,W 11,W 12, G.LOOMIS IMX W 10,W 12/13).

With all this rods i can cast 1 oz. without problem using braid (or fused) 4 lb.-10 lb. line+fluorocarbon leader 8-14 lb.I am fishing just with artificial.
I was catching about 4 red fish ,each 40 inch and many big specks 5-9 lb.on jigs.
I don't need stronger line ,because with FIRELINE ORIGINAL SMOKE 4 lb. i was catching(C&R)one 40 inch ,23 lb. red fish and i think i can handle and bigger fish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2013 03:58PM by Jean Scurtu.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster