I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Who is the maker of this red and black thread?
Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.64.---)
Date: June 07, 2013 01:24PM

I love the look of this red with black stripe thread.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Does anyone know who the maker of this thread is? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who is the maker of this red and black thread?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2013 01:31PM

I'm not completely sure that the thread came that way on the spool. It may have been marked to look that way once wound, or it may "suffer" from incomplete color preserver application.

Steve would have to enlighten you on this.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: June 07, 2013 01:34PM

It looks like someone intermittently touched a marker to the thread as it was winding. My eyes are not so good anymore, but is there a black area bleeding onto the white thread from the red?

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.64.---)
Date: June 07, 2013 01:42PM

Why didn't I think of the marker thing?! Looks like that's what they did. Thanks guys!

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2013 04:52PM

Lam, back in the late 70's and early eighties some folks would take a felt tipped pen and mark their spools of thread to make them variegated. Looks like what someone did to this spool.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2013 05:13PM

That is just what is in Clemens book

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.static.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 07, 2013 09:22PM

I believe that is some felt tip pen work listed some years ago on the site. A bit of caution to keep your marks at a minimum was also mentioned at the time.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2013 09:54AM

If you look at some of the other photos next to this in the gallery, one you can see the black coming down to the blank. And yes I believe it was done with a felt tip pen also.

Tom

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 10:44AM

This looks like something similar to some thread I got off of @#$%&. I don't think this is thread that was was made for rodbuilding. Lesspn learned: Use only thread made for rodbuilding from the sponsors.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 02:25AM

Anybody can do that as this is just red nylon that has been modified with a black marker simply take a fine tip black marker and put lines on the thread horizonal wise and wrap.

Glenn McMurrian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster