I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Some help needed .
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 05, 2013 12:48PM

Okay ,some help needed here... Awhile back I ordered some rod kits to build for my grandkids . I would like to set them up with the New Guide Concept system. Thinking I'm short a couple of guides ..I read the article in the Library. I using a 7' rod with a shimano IX4000R reel, 8-10# line .The guides that came with the kit are-#25,16,12,10,8,7,6,6,6 .
So with that said ,I went ahead and removed the spool from the reel. Laid rod on the tables edge. My intersect point is 46 3/8" from spool spindle. As stated that they'll be using 8 - 10 # line I attached a #7guide at that point.. So now should I use all # 6's to the tip top ? from the intersect to t/p is 23".. So now for the butt end, when I placed the #25 guide to where it just touched the edge of the table from the spindle . So it looks as I'll have to add a #30 behind the #25 ? And add a # 12 ahead of the #25 to make it come out right . So am I any where close to where I should be ??? Thanks in advance for all the help and advice ... <<<<<DON>>>>>

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some help needed .
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: June 05, 2013 04:00PM

For most 7' light-medium rods (841-842) I run a 25, 16, 6, 4s up to the top. Works very well for me. Depending on the reel you can get away with a 20, 12 , 6, 4s

That being said my first guide is a 25M pacbay (for height) then going to regular sv pac bay guides from there.

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns1.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 05, 2013 10:27PM

Its interesting, because I too tried to build a rod using the New Concept system (6'6" 4-8lb spin rod) and using a standard size 20 (Fuji alconite) as the first guide. It obviously didn't work because the guide would have been two thirds of the way to the tip. Realising that I would need a much bigger size guide or one with a much higher frame, I abandoned the system and when back to the 'old method'.
I have other factory built rods with the same size 20 Fuji as the first guide, which are just the normal layout, not the New Concept, and they seem to work perfectly. So for now I'll stick with what I know.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2013 10:37PM

Eric's method will work just fine.

Or, if you want to go a bit more conservative, I will often use a 25,16,10, and 6 to the tip.
If you want to go down to size 4 runners, that is fine as well. But the top runner should be the same size as the tip ring - either 4, or 6 depending on which you choose.

For children, the size 6 runners will be easier to use and easier to thread .

With this 7 foot rod, you will normally be using 8 guides.

Roger

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 06, 2013 02:27AM

Hi Donald,
Your close. the choker, in your case a 7, should be the same size as your running guides, ie 6's but that won't make a huge difference.
To get the ngc to work properly you generally need one or two high framed guides for the stripper and the next one. Using a bigger guide(s) to get the height to get things right defeats the purpose a bit as you are adding more weight. If the frames are high enough you can often go down a size and still maintain a straight line path to the choker.
That's one of the reasons the microwaves are becoming popular, ie they are considerably easier to set up and you don't need a lot of different guide sizes and heights. Their setup is the same for different sized reels.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 03:16AM by Col Chaseling.

Date: June 06, 2013 03:07PM

Okay fellows, read the information. so Eric ,if I set it up like you say, put the 25-16-6-4's up to the top that will leave me with a empty span of 31 " from the reel spindle to the # 25. isn't that a lot of empty space with out a guide ???? Seems as a lot of line just blowing in the wind ..just saying ..thanks to the other replies. just trying to set it up with the guides that was sent with the kit.
Thanks again .. <<<<<DON>>>>>

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: June 06, 2013 04:05PM

My #25 guide is on average 18-21 inches from the top of the spool when the reel is mounted to the seat. Not sure what type of guide you are using if it is short like a minima SV then yes it will be up too far, if you go with an M series then you will move much closer to the reel. Having too much space between the reel and guide will cause line slap for sure.

25M, 16sv, 6sv, 4sv to a #4 top or

25M, 16sv, 6sv to a #6 top

You can also use concept guides if you like as well as they have the hieght needed to make the firt guide fall into that sweet spot of 20ish inches from the reel face.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Date: June 06, 2013 06:36PM

Hi Eric : you have email in your box >>>

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2013 09:20PM

Don I did not see anything?? Eric.d.viburs.mil@mail.mil

try again?

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 19, 2013 11:09PM

Don,

Did you figure out what you needed for your grandkid's rods? What did you come up with for your guide train?

Just saying if you use the GPS program on the Angler's Resource website [anglersresource.net] it will layout the various guides you will need along with the spacing. It worked very well for me when I did mine. If you select the KL-H series it will use the KR Concept which is an improvement using the smaller rings with higher frames and a quick choke point.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster