I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cork turning
Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: June 05, 2013 07:49AM

Roger,
For hidden hood grips, I turn off the rod with a hood for support.

Randolph,
My expanding mandrel experience first three rods went fine, all was right with the world... Fourth rod, resistance between force of spinning blank and expanding mandrel rubber o-rings tightened down on mandrel internal threads causing the mandrel to expand blowing apart a $160 blank from the inside. Then I had to patch and paint the hole in the drywall from where the expanding mandrel was thrown by me through the wall in a fit of anger.

Some day after I am long gone, some remodeler will open that wall and find it inside there and discover the patchwork and wonder what events led up to the expanding mandrel's entombment!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2013 04:12PM

John, sorry for your experience. I have 5 different sizes of expanding mandrels, and have used them for well over 2000 rods without a single problem. You must have had a very powerful and fast motor to be able to throw one through wall board. My motor is a 1/10 hp on a Dale Clemens/renzetti lathe. I know it wouldn't be able to do that. Lucky it didn't hit you!!

Date: June 06, 2013 06:40PM

Bill, and others, I sent a short article to Tom today outlining the procedure that I use to take the whip out of long rod blanks on a shorter lathe bed. If or when it gets printed, I hope it helps. Randy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2013 09:51PM

Randy,
I have 6 of these rod rests made from Skate Board bearings and aluminum bar stock.

I have a 10 foot long lathe bed made of a 1/8. I have milled a slot down the center of the board to clamp my rod rests.

I put the blank into the head stock chuck - which is a 1/2 inch keyless chuck. I use a solid piece of blank in the chuck and then taper or build up the solid piece to insert into the end of the rod blank.

Then, I space the rod rests as needed down the length of the blank to eliminate all rod whipping. I am just very cautious when I first start the lathe motor to be sure that the rod does not begin to whip. If I find vibration, I move one or more rod rests as needed to eliminate all whipping.

It is just a matter of placing the rod rests along the length of the rod at a null point for the rod oscillation and the blank runs dead smooth.

I use a constant speed 3600 rpm motor, so the rod is spinning quickly and it makes easy shaping for the handle.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: June 07, 2013 03:32AM

Roger, that is a very nice sounding set up. I am talking about those who don't have the ability or resources to make or have the room for your lathe and bed.

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2013 10:15PM

Tony:
After trying both on rod and mandel, I have settled on using a mandrel as the best option for me. Although I never had any "egg shape or centering" problems with either method. I like making several handles at a time. I also like having a separate woodworkers lathe in the garage to keep the dirty work out of my "wrapping & finishing room". I have taken a liking to using drywall sanding screen on the cork...really works fast, keeps surface smooth and doesn't load up. You can tear it in custom widths. You can make backing blocks in any width to help smooth out transition lines between two different materials, also.

As a related note .... I haven't had too many problems using a drill press to recess the butt end for fly rod seats. I use a homemade PVC jig to hold vertical....spin fast ... feed slow.

Posted by: tony rodriguez (---.txt.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 08, 2013 12:29PM

Thanks For the replies. I still not sure of what I need as far as mandrels Head And Tail ect. I have shaped some cork on my power wrapper but Would like to have a jet or similar lathe to do the job. I have no Idea what other attachments I will need to do the job. I have never used a lathe other that my wrapper. What type of head and tail stock what size mandrels Would I need to turn grips for my speckled trout/redfish rods. Most are 10-15wt rods 6'6'' to 7'6'' (not that that matters) I am still clueless. ( I am sure I can figure it out.) I just don't want to buy a lot of unnecessary attachments that I wont use.

Date: June 08, 2013 02:04PM

You need a tail stock with a live center, a 3 jaw chuck for the head stock, unless you prefer a 4 jaw chuck, a tool rest or two, a drill chuck for the tail stock. turning tools. It all depends on how and what you want to turn.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: June 11, 2013 08:48AM

Interesting and thought provoking conversation going on here.

Randolph you made a couple of comments:

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger, by the way, I can turn up to a 9 foot rod blank
> to shape the cork on a 4 foot lathe bed with very little problem.

Would you mind sharing how you do this? My work area is small. I told the wife that since the back bedroom was mine I thought of boring a hole in the wall that goes to the garage to put longer pieces through the wall. For some reason shes balking at that idea.

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use expanding mandrels to center the blank while turning

I use some expanding mandrels (smallest 3/8") but I'm having a hard time trying to visualize one small enough for a rod blank. Do you have a pic so I can get this brain of mine to wrap around this?

Thanks,
Ron

Date: June 12, 2013 06:07PM

Ron, I wrote up the procedure and Tom said he is going to try and get it in the next issue of RodMaker, send me your e-mail at rjruwe2@comcast.net and I can e-mail you a copy sooner.

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.72.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 17, 2013 10:35AM

HI JOHN,

When I need to have some thing " custom" made for what ever reason, I am paying for quality. I expect that person to be picky ,I call that "pride" in workmanship ,that is what I "we " are paying for .

I have been told the same thing,I understand how you feel. CUSTOM, QUALITY,and ONE OF A KIND ROD is what you are buying; Right??

You go. Richard Curry

Maysville GA.

What is life without fishing ?

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.72.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 17, 2013 11:25AM

HI JOHN,

When I need to have some thing " custom" made for what ever reason, I am paying for quality. I expect that person to be picky ,I call that "pride" in workmanship ,that is what I "we " are paying for .

I have been told the same thing,I understand how you feel. CUSTOM, QUALITY,and ONE OF A KIND ROD is what you are buying; Right??

You go. Richard Curry

Maysville GA.

What is life without fishing ?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster