I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sage SP196 1-Power 9'6" Spinning Blank Guide Placement & Sizes
Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.64.---)
Date: June 03, 2013 05:28PM

I have two Sage SP196 1-power 9'6" spinning blanks that I would like to put together as spinning rods for bobber and jig/eggs to go after summer steelhead. I would like to put these together with the leanest, meanest and lightest components possible because, after all, that is why we build, right? I have built a few casting rods before but this will be my first attempt at wrapping spinning rods. Two questions if I may:

1. I have searched and searched but can't seem to find the guide placement chart for these SP196 blanks. Before contacting Sage, I thought I would ask on this forum first to see if any of you might know.

2. What type of guides and guide sizes would you recommend? I need guides that are big enough for dacron bobber stoppers to be able to slide through easily yet small to keep weight at a minimal.

Thank you in advance for your guys' help! This forum rocks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sage SP196 1-Power 9'6" Spinning Blank Guide Placement & Sizes
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2013 05:45PM

You can use static distribution to check for guide placement. Do a search here and you'll find lots of methods. There is a library article on guide placement as well. While it's nice to have the manufacturers info, it's not required.

If you are looking for least weight and enough size to pass the bobber stop, REC recoil guides would be my choice. Some builders like the Pac Bay minimas but I would pic the recoils for this application.

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 03, 2013 05:56PM

Like Terry says

Go to Say St Croix ( I always think of them Don;t know why ? ) Find a blank similar to what you have
Set the guides up to there chart 9'6 10 guides maybe plus one

Static Test - which will show you just where they should go

Then go out and Test Cast

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: June 04, 2013 03:06AM

Or use a Fuji NGC chart, slightly adjust the spacing to account for the extra 6" (the charts are up to 9') and you'll have a fine rod. You might consider using a #25 guide instead of #30. For running guides #6 should cope well with the bobber stoppers. Although actually European match rods (used for float fishing) come with quite small guides (#4 maybe) and handle rubber stoppers easily, as well as moderately sized dacron ones.
Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2013 03:51AM

Thank you for all of your guys' input and assistance. I do have a Lamiglas XMG-50 EXS 96L 9'6" 4-10lb line rating spinning factory rod and was able to get their guide placement chart from the Lamiglas website. Anglers Workshop also has a spinning guide placement chart for a 9'6" rod. I will use these as initial guide placement then static test from there.

After further consideration, I have decided to go with REC guides......not sure whether to go with the RSPG nickle titanium alloy or the RSPGB black pearl color.

As far as guide sizes, I was thinking of using the following sizes: 20 - 16- 12 - 10 - 8 - 8L - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4.5(4.5) tiptop (ICFST titanium ring with stainless steel frames)

Reel seat options: (1) American Tackle Aero Comfort Spinning Seat with silver hood (AERO16CF); (2) Custom Rod Builder Comfort Wood Spin Seat (MHDWS); (3) Fuji Split Grips for Fixed Foregrip (SKSS16).

Foregrip: None

Reargrip: 13" custom corks with checkered pattern design

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2013 03:54AM

Quick question: will a small dacron stopper be able to go through a size 5 ring size and/or 4.5 tip top easily? Or are these guides too small? Most guide placement and ring size charts have a size 6 as the smallest size. However, I love the sleek look of the smaller guides but on the other hand don't want to have a nonfunctional good-looking rod. Thanks again in advance!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 04, 2013 07:04AM

Hello Lam.

Why so many different sizes?

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 04, 2013 10:59PM

A lot of this depends on the components your using, for instance the Lamiglas rod has an 11 1/2 inch rear grip, things move up and down the blank as this length changes to your preferred length. The reel your going to use and the height of the guides all come into play also, the Recoil guides are, every bit if not shorter in height, as any guide out there. A #20 Match Minima guides are similar, if not taller, than a # 30 Recoil spinning guide, so unless you have a very larger reel, or very stiff or heavy line, they would be used in the same application. The Minima Match guides can now be had in titanium and at a better price than the Recoils.
If I knew what size line, the knot and the size dacron line I could maybe see if it passes through me G Loomis 1141 that has small guides on it, and it hasn't stopped me from float fishing, but I don't use dacron for my stop. You could see if the line/knot passes well through the smallest guides you have on you casting rods and maybe figure how much smaller you could get away with that way.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: June 06, 2013 02:41AM

"Hello Lam.

Why so many different sizes? "

Exactly! Whatever for?
Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.64.---)
Date: June 06, 2013 05:04PM

I go with this taper because I don't know any better and this is what Lamiglas uses on their XMG-50 9'6" spinning rods.

Lamiglas has the following sizes: 20 --> 16 --> 12 --> 10 --> 8 --> 8 --> 7 --> 6 --> 6 --> tip top

My REC Recoil guide step down is: 20 --> 16 --> 12 --> 10 --> 8 --> 8L --> 7 --> 6 --> 6 --> tip top

What guide size taper do you guys recommend? I know that I want at least a size 20, if not a size 25 stripper guide and a size 6 for running guides.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 09, 2013 01:02AM

Just fished a micro guided MH bass rod today, 4 mm guides passed an albright knot connecting 20 lb braid to 20 lb Berkley Big Game with no problem. Makes me think you should have no problem with them on your Sage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster