I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cast acrylic
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 01, 2013 04:10AM

Hi Gents,
Started making some more floor tile grips using cast acrylic black for highlights instead of eva. Just made a small one so far to see how it would go and I think it's turned out fairly well. Any body else used this stuff in grips? and what are your thoughts. I ran out of the black eva and it's not easy to buy just black sheets and I've got a lot of the coloured stuff. Found this stuff and decided to try it. Turned down fairly easily despite the difference in hardness.
One of the problems with the eva craft foam sheets is the amount of clamping pressure you apply and how well it is distributed. You don't always get an even highlight when using it. Sometimes it works out really well and others it is a PITA as it is soft and compresses easily on one side leaving an uneven amount around the grip. The next one I throw out won't be the first and there is a lot of wasted effort and materials.
The acrylic sheets are a lot harder and you can put a lot of clamping presure on them without any noticeable deformation, the cork is going to deform before this stuff. The sheets can be cut, drilled, shaped or formed and are availble in various colours and thicknesses. From a quick look I found them down to 0.5mm thickness. The ones I used for this are 2mm thick. I think 1mm or 0.5mm would be really good.
Some links to pictures of the small grip without and with cork sealer:-
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Mr Balmforth, this stuff is available in white!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2013 04:15AM by Col Chaseling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cast acrylic
Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: June 01, 2013 07:33AM

Looks very cool col

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 01, 2013 12:05PM

Col, this stuff works great, and as you mention, it is available in many colors and thicknesses. I've been using it for years and really prefer it to softer products.

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns16.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 01, 2013 07:39PM

Very nice there Col if you can get that stuff in .5mm i would be very interested.And white would be nice.

Looks like you have put that saw to use or am i mistaken.

cheers

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2013 08:07PM

Make sure that what you get is cast and not extruded - the extruded will shatter after being turned due to internal stresses. The cast is rock solid.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 01, 2013 08:47PM

hay Col how ya been

This sounds interesting
Got any info as to the company or a link Can i get it at Home Depot ??

Did a search and came up with a bunch of things not knowing if they are the same as what you are using

Did eva from mudhole and plastic from containers worked well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2013 09:10PM

Hi Col:

Looks great ... I like the shiny ones the most ... I assume that was with the sealer applied.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 02, 2013 12:03AM

Thanks Chris.

Phil, good to see someone has used it previously and got good results. I agree it's a lot better than the softer materials like eva.

Ray, I need to find where the thin stuff is available from and the postage cost. The 2mm stuff I got from Oz and postage was free. I'll let you know what I find. I've run out of cork rings that I use for highlights so decided to make some and put the saw to use, thanks for getting it. I've got a heap of different burl, rubber and exotic 1/4" rings in transit.

Tom, thanks for that info, lucky I got the cast stuff and will stay away from the extruded variety.

Bill, I'm good. I found this stuff while looking for black eva sheets on the unmentionable @#$%& site. This came up at the bottom of the page and looked good so decided to try it. From that site I found the thinner and different colours also at the bottom of the page. Just do a search on that @#$%& site and you should find a bit or email Phil and find out where he gets it from in the States, might have to get mine from there also if the postage isn't excessive.

John, good to hear from you. This stuff is super glossy and has paper protecting each side ala perpex, which is a similar thing. Need to give it a good rough up before glueing and I cut out holes for the blank diameter before glueing. You can get it even more glossy if you go to a fine size finish paper. Hope your putting that Renzetti lathe to good use and teach your grandson as well!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 02, 2013 12:07AM

Here in the US, I get mine from Tap Plastics. They have 21 retail stores here in the West.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster