I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Portable/Transportable Rod Wrapper
Posted by: David Martin (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2013 07:26PM

Kinda struggled with the title but here is my situation.

I fly week to week around the US from my home in Niagara Falls, NY.
Plan to spend most weeks in the FT Lauderdale area until around October.

I'm just getting into rod fixing but hope to expand to building a few rods for my own use.

I have tons of time after work in the hotel to learn rod building, are there portable/transportable rod wrappers that i could pack in my luggage while I travel?
The rods I can ship and store at my travel destinations and i suppose the rod wrapper for that matter unless I'll need for the weekend at home.

Crazy question but I have a crazy job with only a couple days home most weeks.
Hoping someone here has done the same.

-Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Portable/Transportable Rod Wrapper
Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 09:09PM

I may be able to help I designed a portable based off a wooden wrapper my father built back in the 60s, it will fit in a suitcase takes up a space of 5-1/2"x2-1/5"x16" foldes out to 32" long.
I don't have the oridginal drawing but I can send you a hand drawing, curtisdrumm@gmail.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 10:33PM

The Sully wrapper packs down very small.

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

Or you could build one of these. I think I have the plans here somewhere.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 11:19PM

The little hand wrapper made by Fuji looks like a nice portable unit.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 11:21PM

Definitely the Sully. I have wrapped several hundred rods on one. They are very compact AND they are excellent wrappers. You will enjoy the hands-free tensioner and other features.

Date: May 29, 2013 08:24AM

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas folks.
Some very nice handmade units for sure.

At this point I'm leaning toward a commericial unit mostly from a time standpoint, would be difficult for me to make something with only a hotel room as my work area and on weekends when I am home the honey-do list is pretty long, espeially with the weather breaking and just the normal household chores eating up my time.

I had perused the blurps on various websites for the Sully, Eco Wrapper, Flexi and mudhole offerings, just very difficult to get a feel for how each would breakdown for transporting and the sizes of the various components.

Good to hear the Sully is a compact unit, will look at that in more detail today.

-Dave Martin

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: May 29, 2013 09:06AM

This is about as portable as you will get.

[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

All you need is a table edge.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2013 10:03AM

David; send a Email to Seabear49@gmail.com I have INFO for you

Date: February 22, 2016 08:53PM

How time flys.
Almost three years since I posted this, couldn't believe it when I saw the posting date.

In the last two weeks I've purchased a Sully rod wrapper and also a Sully single rod dryer.
Plan to start by repairing a couple rods I trampled all over the rod guides with big winter boots late season musky fishing.

From there building my own fishing rods.

The comments about the Sully packing down for travel was spot on.

Still flying around the country a bunch so should be able to transport the Sully if needed.

Really appreciated all the original input.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster