I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glued guides
Posted by: Patrick Marshall (---.dhcp.atsc.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 25, 2013 07:20PM

I'm currently building a 12 foot fly rod that has 17 guides. I admit to feeling a little lazy about wrapping so many guides, so I'm curious as to whether anyone has "super-glued" guides to a fly rod or long spinning rod WITHOUT wrapping the guides and then FISHED the rod. If so, how did it work out, assuming that fish were actually caught on such a rod? I'll probably end up wrapping the guides anyway, but I kind of want to fish this rod ASAP too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glued guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 25, 2013 08:37PM

There is a way to successfully do that (earlier RodMaker article on "threadless wraps") but super glue isn't going to be sufficient. Neither is epoxy. Better wrap them on with thread or you're apt to be very disappointed out on the water.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 10:08PM

Patrick,
If you want to fish the rod now, put on 5 guides and go fishing.

Do you really need 17 guides on this rod?

Remember, you want to use as few guides as possible to Just properly load the blank when the blank is in full deflection.

Date: May 25, 2013 11:20PM

Roger, I agree with you 17 guides is probably over the top. I have two guides on the butt section, five on the second section, four on the third section and six on the tip section (Guide sizes:-,4,2,2). The blanks were purchased from Angler's Roost and is a four piece 2/3 wt fly rod. I probably will build the rod for use on medium size mountain rivers (California) for trout using the so-called Czech nymphing style. I intend it to be a "spin-fly" rod.

I would like to get away with the minimum number of guides possible without compromising the efficiency or integrity of the rod. It does not have to cast anything a "country" mile ( 50 max feet is fine).

Are there any charts for guide placement for such a rod? Over-all on this rod the current temporary guide placement is: tip-top 4" 5" 6" 6" 6" , 8" 8" 8" 8", 8" 8" 8" 8" 8" 8", 15" 15" (to reel mount).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2013 09:22AM

Patrick,
I suppose that if I were building the rod, I would go with one fewer guide per section. However, since this is a 3 wt rod, the placement and number of guides on the two tip sections could be pretty close as you have listed.
Normally near the butt section, you can considerably increase the spacing. Something like 19 inches to the reel, then 15, 12, and 10.

When working with an unknown blank, I use methods commonly used by many other rod builders.

I just take 1/4 inch wide pieces of tape, and stick them on the blank, where I believe that the guides should be placed. Then, starting from the tip - flex the blank , and continue to move down the blank flexing the blank. As I flext the blank, I visualize the run of the line to be sure that the line flow will follow the contour of the loaded rod.

As needed, I will move the tape up and down the rod to achieve this result.

Finally, after taping the guides on the rod, I will run line through the guides from the reel, and pull down on the end of the line, as if fighting a fish and double check the line flow for a smooth load of the blank.

Posted by: Greg Cudnik (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: May 26, 2013 11:25AM

If time is of the essence and you can't wrap/coat reach for tape and get it done. I've taped on guide and fished them with great results. I've helped customers who were in a rush to hit a hot bite but had a broken guide or two this way too. I first tape the guide on snug with thin green masking tape then I'll electrical tape over. It'll get you by for the time being. I wouldn't attempt super glue

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 26, 2013 12:04PM

Not for nothing but I don't see that you did a ( Static Test )

Put the rod in some kind of holder put a line from the top to a heavy weight to put the rod in a nice arck Don't go to fare 90 degrees is all

Make Sure You Put Thread On The ferrules So They Do Not Split While Testing

Run another line though the guides with some weight a nut should do

Looking at your measurments you should be able to get rid of I would think 2-3 guides at least
I would keep the first at 4" Then try a half inch for about the next 4 - 5 guides
Then take a look at the guides and move them back The butt of it should let you move and let you take some off

Don't hert any cork on the rod in the holder Wrap rags around it if needed

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2013 03:14PM

Starting at 4" from the tip is fine, if I were making this rod I would increase the distance to 5, 6, 7, 7 1/2, 8 and then by 1/2" or 3/4" to the stripper guide. You have 10 guides all at 8" apart. Why?

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.wrbg.mo.charter.com)
Date: May 26, 2013 07:14PM

Patrick,
I've a guide placement equation that I use.
What is the distance from the reel to the tip, what is the tip size and how many guides would you like to use ?
Normally it would be 1 per foot plus 1 plus the tip top for 13 guides plus tip top.
I typically build at 1 guide per foot and a tip top.
I've gone as low as 1 guide per foot minus 1 but rate the blank for light tippet use only.
If this is a 2/3 weight excessive guide mass will slow the rod a great deal and may make it a "slug" to fish.
If the rod tip continues to bouce, after the flys are in the water, control of the drift will be very difficult.
You might also try shrink wrap tubing to secure the guides. I've seen it used on low price factory builds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2013 07:34PM by Eugene Moore.

Date: May 27, 2013 10:54PM

I want to thank all who replied here. I printed out all the responses to assist me in the building of this rod. I now have all the information I need to make this a successful build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster