I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Lathe workbench height
Posted by: Julian Dembicki (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 06:10PM

Looking to set up my workbench for the rod lathe. I was wondering what height most people have their workbench set at? I bought a couple of height adjustable folding tables. It has 3 positions the bottom two seem to low and the third seems to too high. The highest setting is 35.5 inches from floor to top of table. I mainly work on the rod sitting down in a rolling chair.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Lathe workbench height
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 24, 2013 06:15PM

It all depends on your stool or chair and where you are comfortable.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2013 06:29PM

If you do any turning work, you'll likely do that standing up. In which case the rule of thumb is to have the center of the chuck the height as your elbow when standing. You can adjust chair height for working while seated.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 06:44PM

Julian, the higher the better. What you do not want is a situation where you are hunched over the rod as you (or your son) are working on it. I think 36" is the "normal" hieght

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 06:44PM

Julian, the higher the better. What you do not want is a situation where you are hunched over the rod as you (or your son) are working on it. I think 36" is the "normal" hieght

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 07:28PM

I like to have the rod blank about 10" from my eyes, and no more than 12". But then I am getting old and eyesight is not that good anymore. But I had it the same height for at least 35 years since my father-in-law made me a custom work station. I have revised it several times, but the height of the rod blank remains the same. Make it high enough so you will be able to keep close track of your wraps. If you turn cork on it, it should be about waist high so you aren't having to bend over too much, that gets tiresome. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 07:55PM

Julian, I forgot to say that I have a separate lathe for the cork work so there is no cork dust getting on the wraps. I know this is not possible for all, so I would anchor your lathe to a piece of wood, that you can move to the garage or outside for cork work. Vacumnm the lathe and motor and head well before doing any wrapping. Then wipe it down with a damp cloth.

Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: May 24, 2013 09:28PM

Build your bench somewhere in the middle and adjust your height with an office chair with wheels and an adjustable height.

Don

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 10:12PM

Julian,
I use a standard height table of 28 inches.
My rod lathe puts my rod 7 inches above that or 35 inches.
When wrapping, I am always sitting down in a typical office chair.

I have everything arranged, so that normally I just roll the rod by my work station on the long bench. But if needed, the chair has rollers to roll to another spot on the rod.

I have back issues so it is difficult for me to stand for long periods of time.

----------------
My turning lathe is in my dirty building - where everthing gets turned, then the turnings are cleaned up, and the balance is blown out the door with high pressure air.
On that bench, I have it adjusted for hitting my waist or about 36 or 37 inches.
The lathe does it turnings about 10 inches above the surface or 45 inches. With this bench, I am normally standing, But I also have a pull up stool to sit on, when making adjustments to the work piece or lathe.
But for turning, I have tried it both sitting down and standing up, and find it many times easier to do turning work on the lathe while standing.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 10:35PM

My old table was stand-up height. I could stand and work or sit in my chair and work....my chair wasn't a standard office chair...it was a higher drafter's chair.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 09:43AM

Julian,

Go with the 36" as mentioned above. My work bench used to be 36" high, until my wife talked me into cutting off the legs. She didn't like the work bench showing through the garage window. I cut it off as requested. 'Have not like the work bench as well ever since! Go with the 36" or with what Tom suggested: "have the center of the chuck the height as your elbow when standing".

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster