I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod blank for beginner
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2013 05:24PM

I haven't picked up a fly rod since mid 1960's, now since i am retired i thought i would try to a little fly fishing. Just looking for suggestions on what length, line weight and rod action would be a good starter. Used mostly for pan fish and trout streams. I have built bass rods and light saltwater rods, but thought i would try my hand at a fly rod. Also suggestion on reel seats and guides.
Thanks,
Roger
Greensboro, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod blank for beginner
Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: May 24, 2013 09:30PM

3wt, 6 to 7foot medium action.

Don

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 10:15AM

You'll get a ton of different opinions on this question. If it were me, I'd lean towards a rod in the 4 wt range, 8-9'. LIght enough for panfish but enough rod to throw a reasonable number of different flies for trout. If you are in brushy, small stream environment, shorter is better as Don suggested above.

Also pick a moderate action rod. They are easier to learn on and you can feel the rod load. And, for the most part, they are less expensive anyway. The Forecast F864 is a good example. 8 1/2' 4 wt, moderate action.

Lot's of reel seat choices as well. solid choices in either black or chrome color for around $10.

Terry

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 10:47AM

A 6' to 7' 3wt would be considered a specialty rod, particularly for small streams. I agree with Terry, and 8' to 9' in a 4wt or 5wt would be a more all around rod. I would opt for a medium-fast action rod like a Batson RX-7. They are usually more sensitive and easier to feel loading. Check around for some discounted Batson blanks, they are discontinuing a lot of models and you may be able to pick one up cheap. Get Bit Outdoors has some at about 50% off.

If you are looking for a kit with decent reel seat and hardware, I would take a look at the Hook & Hackle Xi kits. Some of them are on sale at about $100 right now. It would be hard to put together a comparable set of components anywhere near that price.

As you can see, I am an avid deal seeker. But check around some of the suppliers at the left. Once you have an idea of what you might want, call them. They are usually very helpful and can get you set up with just what you need.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 03:12PM

Hi Roger.... I'm no expert by any means but I personally consider any 3wt to be at the top end of Ultralight and while I like the 7' - 7'6" rods I don't think that would fit your list and think something in the 8' - 9' and a 4wt.

Baston has some great prices on some of their blanks that are being discontinued and Get Bit Outdoors (don't know about any other of the sponsors) has some attractive prices. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

IF804 Batson 8'0" Was: $69.75 1.20 oz. OG Forecast RX7 4.5 Med-Fast 0.335 4 2 $34.88

IF864 Batson 8'6" Was: $75.71 1.33 oz. OG Forecast RX7 4.5 Med-Fast 0.375 4 2 $37.86

Guides I'm a big fan of Minima4 F guides ...

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 04:27PM

Well if you use a 10wt you can back cast those pans rite into the fryer no trouble. Ok try a 4-5wt. Since you have not built a lite rod just be careful with the tip area.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 26, 2013 01:51PM

The Batson IF804 is great for panfish and trout, you can't beat it especially at the closeout price.

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2013 04:04PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I believe i will go with a 7.5ft and a 8 or 8.5ft blank. Again thanks.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster