I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Permigloss setting up in bottle
Posted by: Austin K McWhorter (---.amrlcmtk01.tx.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 23, 2013 10:39PM

Hey guys, quick question. I have a bottle of permigloss that is starting to set up in the bottle. The top have is setting up and the bottom is becoming jelly like. Can I heat it up to get it back to its normal state?? Thanks

A MAC Custom Built Rods
www.amacrods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permigloss setting up in bottle
Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.185.---)
Date: May 23, 2013 10:55PM

Hi Austin,
That's normal and I doubt there is anything that can be done as it's moisture curing. You need to store it so the moisture stays away from it. Tom has posted his way to keep it from setting up and that's what I've used and mine is good after almost twelve months. You need a small can with a lid and put a hole near the bottom and screw an small eyebolt. You need to put it into a container as you get a small amount of leakage around the screw until it sets. If you do a search on "permagloss storage" using all dates you will get a lot. Others store it in the fridge with success.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 02:21AM

Once PG starts to gel and set, there is nothing to do but throw it away.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 08:11AM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once PG starts to gel and set, there is nothing to
> do but throw it away.

True statement...but there are ways to stop the process so you don't have to throw it away.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 08:17AM

To keep it from happing again
After each use wipe the threads off WELL put the top on tight but not Really tight
put it in the Fridge - not the freezer
Let stand it will get cloudy till gets room temp when useing again

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 08:19AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2013 08:48AM

Currently Permagloss is shipping with a new style cap that the maker says will greatly slow down the set up in the bottle process. It may not eliminate it entirely, but they feel good about the lined cap.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 24, 2013 12:51PM

Hope the new cap helps. I just found out my new unopened 4 oz bottle was cured solid. It was still shrink wrapped.

Date: May 24, 2013 02:02PM

I have put it in the fridge and it has been there some times for over a year This is on stuff I have used
Took it out poored into a cup let clear ( it gets cloudy in the fridge ) and it is as good as new

Your money

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 24, 2013 02:14PM

I don't know what keeping it cold is supposed to do, it isn't heat that cures it, but moisture.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 02:24PM

I've had really good luck with using the 4 oz metal paint can with the screw eye hole at the bottom of the can. I never open the lid to use it so only the outer drips cure. I've had the same can for several years with no curing issues.

Terry

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: May 24, 2013 03:43PM

Not the cold. if its a frost free fridge very little moisture in it
ricky

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 06:05PM

I do not think that you can salvage Permagloss once it have hardened up but what I do is store my Permagloss in the fridge and the moisture will keep it from setting up and this is what works for me but when it comes time to use the Permagloss I like to let it sit out to warm up to room temp as it will setup better when warm.

Glenn McMurrian

Date: May 24, 2013 06:13PM

Glenn, if anything the lack of moisture would keep it from setting up. But I doubt if there is enough lack of moisture in a refrigerator to keep it from setting. Every time you open the door condensation forms, which is moisture. I have used Perma_Gloss since before it had a name, & once it starts to set/gel, there is nothing that you can do. I started using it and testing it for Ralph O'Quinn around 1974-75, & have been using it ever since.

Date: May 24, 2013 06:33PM

I don't know why Nor do I care
I only know IT WORKS

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 24, 2013 07:08PM

Bill, how did you hear about putting it in the fridge? Curious. :>)

Date: May 24, 2013 08:06PM

Well it does work Randolph and that is all I care about and as for who told me about this concept I was told about it from a Permagloss distributor as up a the lamiglass rod building show the I go too so try it it realty works well my permagloss is doing on a year or my and still works.

Glenn McMurrian

Date: May 24, 2013 08:26PM

glenn, I just opened a 1 oz. bottle that I have had in a drawer for 25 years, no refrigeration and it is just as good as the new bottle I just bought to test the two of them at the same time. someone would have to prove to me that refrigeration is beneficial.

Date: May 24, 2013 08:44PM

I am talking about using refrigeration after the Permagloss has been opened up as I to have lots of Permagloss at least 5 bottles that have not been opened up that are still good but once Permagloss is opened it will dry out very fast but if it is put in the fridge after it is used it will last for everever or so.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 10:20PM

I have a 2 year old unopened 4 oz bottle that I just took out to use this week. It is cured solid. It came from the supplier shrink wrapped, bubble wrapped and in two ziplock bags.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: May 24, 2013 10:46PM

In order to stop that from happening the next time that you open a bottle of Permagloss just use it and once you are finished with it just close the bottle with the cap and then put the Permagloss in the fridge for storing until the next time you need it and it will be as good as new.

Glenn McMurrian

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster