I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G Loomis MUR946C Muskie Trolling Rod Guide Replacement
Posted by: David Martin (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2013 08:43PM

Just a newbie on rodbuilding, rod repair, etc, although not a newbie on life experiences (64 yrs old) lol!

I have two G.Loomis Muskie Trolling Rods, model mur946C, 7'10", 30-60lb, 1 -6oz, fast-action.

I use them to troll for muskies in the late fall here in the niagara falls, ny area, weather can be fridgid in mid-december so I usually wear pac-boots to keep the feet warm.
One of the disadvantages of the pac-boots is that you can be stepping on things (like rod guides) and not realize it so I now need to replace some of the rod guides on these rods.

I'm a DIY guy so looking forward to doing this but honestly don't have a clue as to;
1) determine where to buy new guides and more importantly, what type, style, size I need.
2) tools/methods needed to remove existing guides.
3) materials/tools needed to install replacement guides, thread, adhesive, etc.

Appreciate any help.........

-David Martin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G Loomis MUR946C Muskie Trolling Rod Guide Replacement
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 07:39AM

Hi David,
Mudhole, Get Bit and FlexCoat , all sponsors of the forum and listed in the panel to the left have how to videos to show you how, and can supply you with the tools and parts to do the job. A little research goes a long way so check out as much as you can on this forum and read Tom Kirkman's book, "rod building guide", After that you will not only be ready to repair you rods, you will be hooked on a very addictive hobby and will be dreaming of building the Ultimate Fishing tool for yourself.
Good Luck & stay thirsty my friend.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Date: May 25, 2013 09:18AM

Thanks for the reply Jim.

I've checked out a bunch of youtube videos on replacing rod guides just to get the flavor of what needs to be done.
Looking forward to getting these rods ready for fall trolling so I have time right now.

Also bought a few of the Dale Clemens Rodbuilding books, a bit dated timewise but very enjoyable to read and packed full of information.

Mudhole, Get Bit and FlexCoat should be able to help me the the details I'm sure after quickly perusing their websites.

-Dave Martin

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 11:19PM

If I remember right that is a fairly recent model so it's probably got Fuji components on it. When you remove a guide you'll know, as all Fuji guides are stamped somewhere.

Date: May 26, 2013 08:34PM

Thanks for the tip Spencer.
I just may do that, I received an email from mudhole tech support today saying to contact loomis with the rod model number and they could supply rod guide vendor/make/style info.

I was also thinking of removing a guide and checking the dimensions with a micrometer and then picking from a fuji catalog for example.

-Dave Martin

Date: May 29, 2013 02:15PM

guide mystery solved, called shimano/loomis tech support.
Guides are Fuji.

From rod tip to reel, left to right;
BSUZT8-6.5, BNLG8, BNLG8, BNLG8, BNLG10, BNLG10, BNLG12, BNLG16, BNLG20.

At least have something to start with.

Use braid, no grooves or wear on originals so will replace damaged one in kind.

-Dave Martin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster