I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Woven Graphite Tubing
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: May 22, 2013 02:51PM

Good day. A search on the above brings up about 20 pages, far too much in attempting to locate info on thinner tubing, as mentioned by Bob, in his Custom Tackle Supply post of a few years ago.

Did the thinner stuff ever happen? I have a sport who wants a graphite seat with metal hardware, and about 15.7 mm bore. the Pac Bay folks make a spin/cast seat, but with the cheesy non-metal hoods and hardware. The Pac makes smaller bores for fly rods, with metal hardware.
But I do not think it would be a good idea to remove almost 2 mm of inner material, in order to use the smaller seat.

I am exploring making my own seat if I can find tubing of a smaller persuasion, than the 2 larger common sizes out there. Thanks, Ken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Woven Graphite Tubing
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2013 03:42PM

Ken,

You can always take an Al seat, chop it up with a dremel, and make an insert with woven graphite sleeving on a foam core.

Mud Hole has 16mm tubing for their CRB handle system designed to go in 17mm seat components. This would be the way to go, if he is okay with the slightly larger seat.

Joe

Date: May 22, 2013 03:42PM

oops double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2013 03:42PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2013 03:44PM

Or make your own carbon tuning in any size you want. It's not at all hard to do. Same technique as that used for skinning foam core grips, but you use a thicker skin (or two layers of the thin stuff) over a removable core.

Date: May 23, 2013 12:59AM

Thanks, Folks.... The Mudhole option is out. It's 16 mm outside diameter, not inside diameter.
there is no Canadian supplier of cloth as far as I know, RE, making my own. This would be a one-off, so I'm not prepared to spend a hundred dollars+ on cloth, resin, tooling, etc, wade through the learning curve, wasting resources, so that's out too. I'll just tell the sport to 'fuggeddaboudit"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2013 03:28PM by Ken Driedger.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2013 02:20PM

Ken,
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ have been spent on researching, and designing and manufacturing new reel seats.

If you check various catalogs, you can find literally thousands of different reel seats available for any thing you might want to use.

Save your self the time and trouble - buy one of the shelf and move on. It won't take much searching to find the exact reel seat that you want for a fair price and certainly for much less than your time and effort would require to make a new one.

Date: May 23, 2013 03:36PM

Roger, I edited my post to reflect that very concept, as you were posting. I appreciate your input, Americans are very good at forgetting about the rest of the globe.... #1 and all....We just don't have the options you guys have. I have gone through American Tackle, Pac Bay, Mudhole. None of these offer the seat the sport wants. Yes, there are spin/casting graphite models, at a good ID, but they have the cheesy-looking cheapo nylon-graphite hoods for the reel. Who's left that I might look at. I have already advised my sport to consider other options from a graphite skeleton seat.
Cheers, kd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2013 03:39PM by Ken Driedger.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2013 03:54PM

Ken,
I apologize. I neglected to realize that you were from down under.

And, as you mentioned - the client needs to get what he wants.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.185.---)
Date: May 23, 2013 06:22PM

Hi Ken,
Sent you an email, the DBluefishing link on the left may have what your looking for.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 23, 2013 07:00PM

Not sure what you want. You mention 15.7 mm bore. To me that sets the minimum size at 16 mm but says nothing about maximum size. Then you say he wants a graphite seat but with metal hardware....and go on to mention other offerings are chessy.

Sounds to me like the graphite channel lock reel seat is just what you want. Who cares if the smallest size is a 20 mm bore. That is what they make arbors and masking tape for. I wouldn't want a size 16 seat on anything I wanted metal hardware on. I want the seat to fit my hand not the blank.

But maybe I misunderstand your point? I don't even know if you want a casting or spinning reel seat.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: May 24, 2013 02:38AM

I'm doing a pin rod. Center pin rods are not usually found south of 49. I'm using a Sage SA4110 gear blank, not normally available in America, as they were resurrected by a fellow in BC, built by Sage, coloured either olive green, or diplomat blue, not brown. If you search Sage SA4110B or Sage CT4110B you should get an overview of the type of rod out there. Fred's Custom Tackle is doing built rods on the eeb,eh?

The sport wants a seat similar to either a higher end fly rod, or a spey rod... metal skeleton, with a woven graphite insert. Such a seat will not fit the gear rod at the position he wants it to be. Gear rods are rounder near the butt, to save material, adding strength by virtue of blank diameter, compared to a flyrod, or a double-hander.

The makers could easily reduce the diameter, but they would need to wrap more cloth, and that takes time and costs money. So they make them big and fat to get the strength without the product.

Pin rods are fished mostly with a float. Great Lakes steelheaders would know all about them, but that fisherie's wimpy rods would blow up in 10 minutes out west in either WA, ID, OR, or BC. My sport just finished doing just that on the Skeena. (He's from ON) Back east, they fish noodle type rods, with 6-8 pound test leader. Out west, rods are stiffer, and anybody using less than 15 pound leaders will just lose fish after fish.

Pin reels are like giant fly reels, single action, and fished in pretty much the same way as a flyrod. Not for salt water use.

Yes, those cheesy graphite/ss hoods are unsuitable in the sport's opinion, on the type of rod I'm doing. So my options are a nice all metal Channel-Lock seat, or something from Lakeland, etc, seeing's how the graphite insert search is coming up blank, at the diameter of the blank. There's another option from the DBlue sponsor Col put me on to...the sport may/may not like it. But he might. It's his dime. Hope that fills in the voids. Cheers, KD. PS: Roger: I'm a Canuck, not an Anzac. :) pps: Got your note, Col, replied. kd.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 02:42AM by Ken Driedger.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.185.---)
Date: May 24, 2013 06:02AM

These DBlue K-NPS reelseats will go well with carbon fibre grips and hopefully get Ken out of trouble.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: May 24, 2013 07:45AM

Ken,

[www.batsonenterprises.com]

Check the next to last seat on this page. Batson lists a distributor in BC that should be able to help you out. It should be exactly what your customer wants with no compromises.

Joe

Date: May 24, 2013 01:01PM

Well there it is, then...one place I didn't ckeck. Thanks, Joe. I'll give them a call. cheers, kd.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster