I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which Wrapper/Lathe to Buy
Posted by: Gus Ferencz (66.102.16.---)
Date: May 22, 2013 01:56PM

Gentlemen:

Getting into this as a Hobby and Business in my retirement years and disregarding $600 diference in the initial buy-in price What setup should I be looking at the Renzetti or Rodmaster And what accessories are recommended for each (assuming I will be doing Graphite Saltwater Rods with Thread weaving

Rgds,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which Wrapper/Lathe to Buy
Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: May 22, 2013 02:01PM

If $$$$$ isn't an issue, get the Renzetti. It's waaaaaaaaay better. I can't help you with weaving info.

Search rod lathes in this forum. Lots of posted info here.

Don

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2013 02:32PM

The Renzetti is the most versatile of them all.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: May 22, 2013 03:19PM

Theres no choice. Renzetti is the best and nothing comes even remotely close especially for longevity and return on investment.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2013 04:03PM

I have the Custom Power Wraper by Anglers workshop and I am not sure that I would ever bye it again as the Renzetti would be a better choice.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2013 04:16PM

The Renzetti, with the right motors and bed extensions is a lifetime tool. If money isn't an issue, it's a pretty easy choice.

Just to offer another opinion, you could buy a rodsmith, or similar wrapper, and invest in a midi lathe for turning grips and real seats for about the same amount of money. While you can turn grips on a Renzetti, I prefer personally to separate my cork turning work from my wrapping and finishing work. Renzetti's now offer the continuous thread carriage meaning you don't have to move the rod supports or reposition the carriage to hit the next guide.

The power wrappers won't help you much with weaving. These are all done by hand anyway. However the renzetti weaving attachment is a pretty good one. You don't need their wrapper to use it though.

You'll do fine. Let us know how it goes.

Terry

Date: May 22, 2013 05:19PM

I have had two Renzetti/Dale Clemens lathes for over 35 years. Same motors and same belts have never been replaced. I am thinking about getting one of their new models. I like the way that the thread carriage can move past the roller supports without having to take down the carriage and put it back together on the other side of the support.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2013 07:09PM

You wouldn't think it makes that much more difference - a minor convenience, but after using one you won't go back.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2013 01:00AM

Decisions … Decisions

Like many rod makers am enamored of the tools and equipment of the craft at least as much as the actual task of building rods. You could say I'm a tool man at heart. I am always happy when I get a chance to add a new tool.. especially a power tool to my workshop.

Every purchase usually involves lots of thought and comparison shopping and seeking the advice of trusted friends. The planning stage is actually quite pleasant to me. This is especially true for major expenditures. The months it takes to save up for the tool are spent poring over the specs and prices.
Such was the case when I bought a wood lathe, sharpener, drill press, belt sander and the rest of my power tools.

But choosing a powered rod lathe was different. I only wanted a Renzetti Lathe. It was just a question of how long it would take me to save up for it.

Since my hand wrapper consisted of a 4 foot Clemens bed extension with modern Renzetti components I didn't need to get an entire rod lathe. I had the thread and carriage and rod supports. I spent months figuring which components to add and the total cost of each variation. My plan was to end up with both a power rod lathe and a hand wrapping station… both with the same type of components.

The nice thing was that I didn't have to purchase all the parts at once. I knew I could add more rod supports at a future time.
But then, just as I was about to pull the trigger the Team Renzetti threw an allen wrench into my plan. They introduced an upgraded version called the Craftsman Rod Lathe.

The new version does present some definite advantages to the
standard model. Having lots of experience with the Master Lathe I was able to face this decision with a reasonable expectation of making a wise choice.

I used to own a Clemens lathe which I had upgraded with modern Renzetti components. While it worked fine and I cleaned it up quite well it never had that sparkling look I kind of like in rod lathes. I later gravitated to hand wrapping so I sold it.

After time I started missing the motorized operation; especially when wrapping surf and boat rods. It seemed a good excuse to finally get a shiny new Renzetti lathe and keep it that way; like I do with my fishing reels.

I will now share with you the thought process I went through in choosing which version of lathe to purchase.

To me the new version offers two main improvements. First is the rolling carriage. Since its mounted underneath the lathe bed it can move the entire length of the lathe unhindered by the rod supports. This eliminates the need to stop work to remove a rod support or two to reposition the thread feeder along the lathe bed.

While that extra step can be a bit of a hassle… it really has never bothered me much. To me the few extra motions just become part of the choreography of the work.

The second improvement is that the thread feed can be brought right up next to any part of the rod. On the standard version the rolling carriage can only get within an inch or so from any rod support. This can cause a break in the work flow as the rod must be readjusted.

The new version however had one drawback for me. I wrap sitting at a long desk facing a TV. Since the new version sits on blocks raised a few inches off the table top I was concerned the added height would hinder my TV viewing.

I did some tests .. raising the hand wrapper a similar height and, sure enough, it was a problem. Hmm… I wondered if I should I lower my desk.. decided against it. I often eat at this desk too and the height is perfect for wrapping and eating.
This was a serious problem and yet I was trying somehow to justify getting the "latest and greatest" of the machines…
and that's when I started to factor in the relative costs.

The standard version was $710 versus $798.95 for the new Craftsman Rod Lathe.
Both prices represented complete lathes minus any motor and bracket and foot pedal.

So at this point I was trying to decide if these two improvements were worth roughly $90 to me. The fact that the new lathe is structurally stiffer meant little to me as I have never had any problem with the stability of the original version.

So… just as I was wrestling with these concerns I noticed the price of the Basic Rod Lathe ( the standard version) was reduced to from $710 to $660. This meant the gap between the older and newer versions had now increased to a $130. That's serious money and about the cost of a motor and bracket for the lathe.

So… putting all the data into my mental computer I chose to go with the Basic Rod Lathe. I did not want to lower my desk or make any other adjustments for TV viewing and the cost saving just made it too good a deal to pass up.

So, if there are others like me with dreams of getting a Renzetti rod lathe this just might be the best time to do it. I know it was for me.

But I must say I wish I could get one of the new versions as well. I'm sure they're awesome!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 23, 2013 05:15AM

Hello Gus.

For weaving I use the Wonder Weaver.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2013 09:17AM

David,

I have to ask the obvious question after reading your last post. Can you raise the TV a few inches to accommodate the extra height of the wrapper? In you post, you addressed every solution but this one ;)

Joe

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2013 11:11AM

Craftsman Rod Lathe, that must be new also?

Date: May 23, 2013 01:26PM

Barry: The new Renzetti model is called the Craftsman Rod Lathe.
Joe: I frequently lay on a couch while watching TV and raising it any higher would create a poor viewing angle.
I'm very happy with my decision.

Posted by: Gus Ferencz (66.102.16.---)
Date: May 23, 2013 03:14PM

All

Thanks for all the input, if I go with the Renzetti Craftsman Rod Lathe what additional accessoroes should I purchase with the lathe Wonder Weaver, extensions, motors (apparantly ther is a winding motor and finishing motor I do not see a drying motor)..Rgds,

Gus

Date: May 23, 2013 08:31PM

The winding motor and foot pedal are vital.
So are extra rod supports. It comes with 2 but most use at least 4.

The tool rest is favored by many. I have one but hardly ever use it.

I had a laser on my older Clemens lathe but found it of little benefit in lining up the guides.

A midi size wood lathe is far and away the best choice for turning grips.
If you're going to delve deep into rod building you'll want one for sure.
While more expensive good used Jet, Delta, Rikon or Rodcrafter lathes can be found.
The Renzetti turning motor is nice but far weaker and less capable than a 1/2 HP wood lathe.

Good lighting is also vital.
I like 4 foot florescent bulbs above my lathe with an additional halogen spotlight for close up work.
A head-set magnifier like the Optivisor is another tool I couldn't live without.

I wish you well.

David

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2013 08:53PM

I considered a Renzetti, but I had two wishes in a wrapper that could only be met with a custom unit. I wanted to have a wrapper (not a wrapper/lathe) with complete directional and speed control at both the hand and feet with the ability to set and hold speeds while stepping away from the wrapper (for finish application on the application for later transfer to a dryer). Roger Wilson built me a motor control system that met all my needs. I also wanted to have a headstock with a large bore so the grip material could pass through the headstock so I wouldn't always have to grip the rod at the butt cap; sometimes it's very advantageous to turn a rod while the headstock grips a rod on the front grip. This required a custom large-bore headstock. Neither of these options could be met with a production wrapper, even the lauded Renzetti.

In designing my own, I think I have a better wrapper at about 2/3 the cost of the Renzetti. Since I was designing and assembling the entire wrapper from scratch, I took a cue from Roger Wilson and made mine slide back and forth in front of me further improving it's ease of use and raising my satisfaction markedly with my wrapper. Now, I sit in one spot, everything has a place and is in it's place, I never have to move stuff down the rod (including my foot and hand controllers, tools, thread carriage, cabinets filled with spooled thread, lighting, optics, mini fridge, etc., or myself). My seat is always right in front of my flat screen TV and computer monitor (which displays my build spreadsheet with all my build data); both are always at a perfect viewing angle. As I work on a rod, I slide the entire wrapper back and forth (on high quality ball bearing track system) with elegant ease; the rod goes with the wrapper. The only drawback is the lengthy space required to have nearly 12' of wrapper slide in some cases 9-10' in both directions while working on longer rods.

This is my 4th and probably final power wrapper. It does everything I've always wanted a wrapper to do. For the first time in my life, I feel like my wrapping room is the mancave I've always wanted and I owe the enjoyment I get from it to Roger Wilson, Thanks Roger!

Date: May 28, 2013 03:16PM

John, I would like to see some pictures of your set up if possible. Sounds neat!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster