I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 day turnaround on repairs?
Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 11:58PM

i was reading a 2008 issue of rodmaker (i have a bunch laying around lol) and i seen prices for repairs and warranties and all...people were commenting they replace guides and the customer gets them back within 48 hours...i was wondering how you can give it in 48 hours i thought the normal cure time to wait to use the rod was 3-7 days?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 day turnaround on repairs?
Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.185.---)
Date: May 21, 2013 01:14AM

Hi Jon,
They don't have to wait 3-7 days before you give them back. The epoxy just needs to be hard enough to handle, ie 24hours. You remind the customer to wait a few days before use and they may or maynot. These days you've also got one part Threadmaster.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2013 08:47AM

Not all rod repairs persons offer a 2-day turn around time.

There are also many different types of thread finish, some of which can be fished less than an hour after application.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2013 11:07AM

As Mr. Kirkman suggested, there are some finish products that will cure very quickly.

If you want to pay the price, there is a finish product that uses a UV light, much in the same way as you dentist cures glue in your mouth, as well as fillings that use UV to cure. Again, this type finish can be cured and fished in a couple of hours.

Date: May 21, 2013 11:09AM

The other thing that one can do is to use 5 minutes epoxy to coat thread in an emergency.

I have done this before when on a Canadian fishing trip. Put the guide back on, rewrap the guide, coat with 5 minute epoxy and rotate for a few minutes until the glue kicks.

You can be back fishing in 15 minutes.

Not the perfect repair, but when the fish are biting, you just want a rod that will work to catch the fish. The guide can always be redone later under better circumstance.

Date: May 21, 2013 01:19PM

wow had no idea but man this will be useful...thanks guys! i want to check out that UV stuff also it sounds excellent

as always thanks for the info and ideas its very much appreciated

Date: May 21, 2013 03:29PM

Jon,
When you check it out, let us know the price.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 03:45PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.ostusa.com)
Date: May 21, 2013 03:51PM

i usually offer 24hr turnaround - but with the caveot that it is a short-term fix. Most guys who need that are going on a trip or have a tournament and can't wait. I simply use 30min epxoy and let them know it should be properly repaired at some point (usually winter).

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: May 23, 2013 01:05AM

Hi, Justin....I do much the same, with a twist. Most everybody has a dollar store close by. Their imitation 'scotch tape' is extremely thin, and stretchy. Plus cheap.

I secure the guide to the rod with this stuff, do the threadwork, and apply the 5, 15, 20, 30, or 45 minute resin...whichever time permits. Then, if the sport does decide to get the repair redone, the resin does not stick so hard to the blank, on account of the tape. Works for me. You mileage may vary.

Date: May 23, 2013 02:24PM

the UV stuff seems to be expensive...i guess the epoxy is not so expensive but the UV light to cure it is very expensive

i looked around to make my own light but it says the UV needs to be a certain wave so i guess a UV bulb wont necessarily do it...the ones for doctors will but from what i see they are around $2k lol

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: May 24, 2013 09:00AM

Jon,
if you want to get into 48 hour turnaround look into using not quite mainstream products that work for you:
PG holds a guide and protects thread better than anything.
Need a very well ventilated place and humidity must be correct.
You get a lot for $10

TM One if applied thin can dry fast and does not have the fume issues(plus no allergic reactions like epoxy and a water cleanup) .
You can get three coats on and it goes out the door with a 24 hour turnaround on tip tops and a guide replacement on freshwater rods.
You get a lot for $10

There are water based polyurethanes that cure in hours designed for bar tops and floor coverings that work too.( all of them i have tried yellow to some degree even if it takes 24 months to do so)
But the right rod blank color/age/thread they can work especially if you are trying to repair and older rod where others coating are already yellowed. Again a pint costs around $15.

I offer 24 hour turn around for folks who forget they are fishing a tournament this weekend plus trod on their rods again last time out and come to me on a Wednesday or Thursday.
I charge accordingly for that. Its at least an extra $15 per guide to give you that service or you can go without. ( as my dad always said: poor planning and carelessness on your part does not create a crises to me, it creates a business opportunity)
Invest some time and learn how to use those products and they are inexpensive.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 09:10AM

permagloss might be your best bet
You can put a coat on every 15 - 30 mins Let sit overnight done

Like said
If you want to make some money use 5 min Then when it yellows have them come back and do it over

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 09:11AM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 24, 2013 08:06PM

ah i dont sell but everything ive heard said 3-7 days so i figured maybe i was just not in the loop or so haha

i tried threadmaster one but for some reason im not sure if its supposed to do this or not but.....i put it on a couple coats and dries really fast to the touch but for 3 days no shorter no longer it stays rubbery then on that third day it all of a sudden gets hard? lol i think next ill try out permagloss and see how that goes :)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 08:54AM

You may like LumiSeal better It is basicly the same thing just a little thicker

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.67.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 02:16PM

My 24 hr turnarounds are not available,. I call them 2 step repairs, step 1,make temp. repair to get you by till you can get the rod back to me .This is only good for 3 to 5 days (you must bring me the rod). Cost $10.00. Step 2. You bring the rod back within 6 days, I will by then have the right guide and make the repair right and warranty the repair for 1 yr. Add $8.00 plus the cost of the guide. I do not ship, Why? Cost you to much. I will drive up to 50 miles to meet you half way or you bring it to me, you'r choice.If you want me to go more than 50 mi. the cost to you is 50 cents a mile one way I have the time to do this for you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster