I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Multi layer weaves
Posted by: Scott Cmelik (---.newulmtel.net)
Date: May 18, 2013 01:09PM

I am going to build a rod for my dad and I want to do a weave of his favorite football team. It would be much easier to build the left list using pic to weave but I don't own it nor do I believe it will work on a Mac computer. How does a person go about building a left list for a Multi layer weave without the use of any software.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multi layer weaves
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: May 18, 2013 03:29PM

Lay out your pattern on graph paper, in color. Write the Left list in color as you transfer the thread numbers to the list.

Posted by: Scott Cmelik (---.sub-174-230-193.myvzw.com)
Date: May 23, 2013 11:54AM

Jim,

That where I am really struggling. I have the picture I want trace on regular paper but transferring it to graph paper is kicking my tail. Everytime I do it it ends up looking like a giant dog turd and not a thing close to what it's suppose too. Is there a secret to doing the block diagram.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: May 23, 2013 01:42PM

Look at this weave : [www.rodbuilding.org] This is 103 threads by 151 threads. That translates to a graph image that is 103 squares tall by 151 squares wide. at 10 squares per inch, 10.3 inches tall by 15.1 inches wide. This is a very large image :) determine how big the final weave is going to be based on the circumference of the rod and use that to set the scale of the image/graph paper.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.152.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: May 23, 2013 07:57PM

Scott Cmelik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim,
>
> That where I am really struggling. I have the
> picture I want trace on regular paper but
> transferring it to graph paper is kicking my tail.
> Everytime I do it it ends up looking like a giant
> dog turd and not a thing close to what it's
> suppose too. Is there a secret to doing the block
> diagram.

Basicly, find an image for your pattern, either photo enlarge or reduce the image to the size you require. The larger you make the pattern the better it is for capturing the detailing. If it's to large for the area on your blank where you intend to make your weave, then you will need to reduce it to fit. You might lose some of the detailing according to the image your using for your pattern if you reduce to small, you just have to play around with what fits and what looks best. Using size A for your design threads will allow you to use more threads per inch than using size D, and will look sharper. The 'Cagney' weave where i used 103 size A ncp design threads fitted great on the one inch circumference of the scrap piece of blank i used for the weave sample, and like i mentioned - i wanted to make the pattern large enough to capture the detailing, especially the fine detailing of the eyes. On large paterns from 70 and over threads, i use the 5 mil graph paper, especially if the pattern is intricate with a lot of fine detailing.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 06:33AM by Steve Mcleod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster