I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guide Concept Spinning Rod
Posted by: Rick Cantwell (---.cst.lightpath.net)
Date: May 16, 2013 05:21PM

Hi Guys,
Newbie, so have patience. Building my first spinning rod on a 7' blank I will use for casting off of my boat for stripers and blues. I have a Penn SSV 5500 reel with 20# braid. I read the article in the Library for guide sizing and placement and I am a little confused. I plan on having a 14"grip, add 5" for reel seat and top of reel is approx. 19" from butt. When I measured the outside diameter of the spool lip (2") and multiply by 27 I get 54". When I factor in placement of the reel, the chocker guide would be 73" from the butt leaving 11" for the remaining 6-7 guides. I assume I am doing someting horribly wrong. Help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guide Concept Spinning Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2013 05:46PM

No, you're doing it right. The distance from the choker guide to the tiptop is of no concern whatsoever. The only thing that matters is the distance from the reel to the choker guide. That's where line control takes place.

Locate the choker guide 54 inches from the reel spool and take up whatever distance remains from the choker to the tip with as many running guides as you need. There is no call to use 6 to 7 running guides. If you only have 11 more inches to the tip, then just one 1 or 2 running guides should be enough. Then go cast it.

Do make sure you are not confusing the choker guide with the butt guide. They are not the same thing.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 16, 2013 06:17PM

No, you aren't doing anything wrong. At worst, the only thing you are doing wrong is assuming an article could address every type of rod.

For those of us that fish salt water with good sized spinning reels on short to moderate lentgh rods the article could make you feel like you are doing something wrong. The point to understand is the choker location is determined by reel spool sizeuide and slide it forward untill it cont alone. The length of the rod isn't important and if your choker guide is the rod's tip top so be it.

In your case you will have the choker guide 11" from the tip. You will probably have two more guides, of the same size/type, between the tip and the choker. Just space them equally for now. The butt guide will be about 1/2 the spool diameter, meaning a size 25 for you. You will locate it based on a straight line from choker guide to reel's axle (centerline of spool). Start with the guide near the reel and slide it forward until its outside frame contacts this straight line. The butt guide and the choker guide locations are now "set in stone". Now decide on the next guide up from your size 25 butt guide. A size 16 is probably about right. So set it near the 25 guide and slide it forward untill its outside frame contacts said straight line. Repeat with the next guide up, probably a size 12/10. All of these guides should be high frame spinning guides such as Fuji's BYAG series. The choker and the two guides forward of it should be low frame guides like Fuji's BLAG (size 6,5 or 4).

So far we have the choker, two guides forward of it....the butt guide and two guides forward of it....so a total of six guides so far. That might be enough depending on your rod but typically one more is required. Again using Fuji as an example, you will probably need a "low frame" spin guide here like their J suffix guide (IIRC), probably a size 8.

Needless to say you will need an assortment of guide sizes to pick from. Then you are going to need to read up on static testing to fine tune things. The butt guide and the choker shouldn't be moved (much if at all). The ones near the tip probably will. Strive to keep the "reduction" guides in that bulleye's alignment.

The first time or two it will take some time/trail/effort. I promise it will be worth it. Very soon you will get the hang of it and never feel the need to consult a guide spacing chart nor will you ever doubt that you have layed out the guides in anything but the best possible manner.

So don't be concerned that your choker guides is X number of inches from the end of the rod. It is what it is. Don't be concerned if that means you need X number of reduction guides instead of only one...two...or three. It is what it is.

Next time around you might go with a little smaller reel and a little longer blank. Maybe then you will have a 16, 10, 6, folllowed by six 4's. And that will be fine too because....it is what it is.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Rick Cantwell (---.cst.lightpath.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 09:15AM

Thank you Tom and Russ for the clarification. I built a spiral conventional rod which came out really well and static tested that one, I assume process would be the same.
Love the Forum and really do appreciate the help.

Rick
Long Island, NY

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 17, 2013 03:51PM

Russell spells it out quite nicely!!!

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster