I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

White spots on rods
Posted by: James Bare (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2013 02:31AM

When I rinse down my rods some of them will get white water spots on the epoxy covering the guides, while the oldest of the bunch the whole blank where it gets washed down will turn grayish white untill it dries out after a day or two. Is this a reaction with water and old epoxy or something else? Would putting a new coat of epoxy on the thread wraps solve this?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: White spots on rods
Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 16, 2013 07:13AM

I have had this happen with older rods I have built and used. They can be restored to beautiful condition with the application of a new coat of epoxy.
Mitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2013 07:13AM by Mitchell Karmel.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2013 10:57AM

Moisture is getting underneath the epoxy. The spots disappear as the water dries.

You can clean things up a bit and put another coat of epoxy on the wraps, extending the new application just a tad beyond the edges of the old epoxy. Also make sure to get epoxy in the guide foot tunnels. This is one area that is sometimes not filled/sealed and allows water to wick into the thread from that point.

Date: May 16, 2013 08:07PM

So how much should I sand down the old epoxy? Take it all off or just scuff it up enough for the new epoxy to adhere good?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2013 10:20PM

Clean it, then scuff it. Then apply new epoxy.

Date: May 16, 2013 11:18PM

Ok, thanks

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 12:56PM

Something has cracked or split, allowing moisture to penetrate under and around the guide feet. Did you use guide foot adhesive under your guides before you wrapped and epoxied them? Guide foot adhesive is designed to split and crack under light pressure.

Date: May 17, 2013 03:17PM

Nope didn't use adhesive. The rods the spots show up on are 2 Ugly Sticks(bought), an old Castaway(bought), a Cabelas Fish Eagle(guides replaced by me), and the rod that the blank turns grayish is an old old Kunnan. I redid that whole rod (handle and guides) and its just the blank that turns, the new epoxy over the guides stays fine. On the Ugly Sticks it is also the epoxy over the butt wraps that gets the spots. I can rub or take my nail and scratch the spots off. What has me the most perplexed is if it was the water it would be all the rods, if it was bad epoxy that I had it would be all the rods I had rewrapped but it's not. I have another rod I redid the guides on it the same time I did the Cabelas rod but the spots dont show on it and I used the same epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster