I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PVC rod holder for painting
Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: May 15, 2013 09:11AM

So after thinking about another post I responded to I got to thinking about something to make painting rod blanks easier.

A couple of the problems I have found when painting a rod with a true auto spray gun is the rod position and overspray. I have a big exhaust fan setup in my garage which works well but it still lets some overspray out. Also I have been painting rods in a verticle position which is ok until you get to a fairly large rod. Then there is always the issue with holding the rod steady while paitning but still being able to spin it to paint the other sides.

I know some have been using PVC pipe cut in half to hold the rod and also allow a person to sprin the rod to paint. This sounds like a great idea can anyone chim in as to issues etc that I should address prior to building.

Also I was thinking about a way to remove more overspray. Has anyone thought about using a shop vac attacked to the pvc to possibly suck the fumes out. I would think with a long hose someone could put the vac outside.

any thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PVC rod holder for painting
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2013 09:18AM

You might find that the filter which most vacuums have will be quickly sealed by the paint overspray residue.

Date: May 15, 2013 09:21AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might find that the filter which most vacuums
> have will be quickly sealed by the paint overspray
> residue.
>
> .............

Yeah I thought about that.. Thought about a sorta pre filter, almost like a typical furnace filter. Or possibly making a filter for the vac and just use the furnace filter material.

Then there was the other option which is to not use a filter and just set the vac outside.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 15, 2013 09:31AM

One thought comes to mind

What if you put a piece of scrap blank into the butt Long enough to insert into a thin tube or pipe Maybe with a stopper so it does not slid all the way in Or make the tube the proper size With the seat and handle areas masked off you use them to turn the rod as you spray

Even rig a motor to it to turn as you spray Leave it to set Then another coat

On the fan If you can have the motor away from and covered and have a belt from the motor to the fan blad This will help to keep the fand motor cleaner

If you are using a large auto paint gun or any spray gun there are adjustments to make the fan get small to just a little larger then the blank Paint can also be thinned and several thin coats instead of one heavy coat

I always hold the rod in one hand Clean hands hold in the middle spray the tip then slide my hand down to the seat area and finish the blank
Second coat making sure the paint is set so when I hold again I do not leave prints in wet paint

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2013 09:37AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2013 09:32AM

Without the filter, the motor may become affected by the same thing.

A better alternative would be an inexpensive box fan either ducted to the outside or used with a furnace filter inside. Even if the fan goes out at some point, they only cost about $10 most places these days.

Date: May 15, 2013 10:14AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> Without the filter, the motor may become affected
> by the same thing.
>
> A better alternative would be an inexpensive box
> fan either ducted to the outside or used with a
> furnace filter inside. Even if the fan goes out at
> some point, they only cost about $10 most places
> these days.
>
> ............

Yeah ive tried the box fans and they just are not powerful enough. I have a BIG (I think 2hp) exhaust fan I use to clear the entire garage but its still not large enough to create a draw to pull fumes very fast. Dont get me wrong it clears the garage but takes a few minutes which still can leave overspray.

I could go the route of building a small spray booth but that would just take up too much space for the limited amount of time I spend building rods.

Was just trying to think of a easy portable way to build something for this purpose.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 15, 2013 10:35AM

Okay guys think safety. You plan on hooking up a vac to the suck out the fumes. Depending on the chemistry of the paint the fumes may be explosive. YOU do not want to run those fumes through a vac and into the motor. You might not be here to tells us how it all turned out, if you know what I mean.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Date: May 15, 2013 10:45AM

Chester Kiekhafer Wrote:
> Okay guys think safety. You plan on hooking up a
> vac to the suck out the fumes. Depending on the
> chemistry of the paint the fumes may be explosive.
> YOU do not want to run those fumes through a vac
> and into the motor. You might not be here to
> tells us how it all turned out, if you know what I
> mean.

I get what you mean... which is why I would set the vac outside of the garage.. ill let the sucker blow out there.

Honestly though I dont think there would be a problem. I run my exhaust fan while painting and never had any booms.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-226-193.myvzw.com)
Date: May 15, 2013 11:10AM

I watched a you tube video to watch hue to paint with a spray gun. He was using a double window fan with a central air filter in front of it. Seemed to work well but was clogged throughly went he was dobe

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: May 15, 2013 12:06PM

I just attached a pipe high up and put mono on each end. Then I can slide it to whatever length I need and have the rod laying horizontal at eye level and can turn the blank to coat evenly.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: May 15, 2013 12:27PM

kevin knox Wrote:
> I just attached a pipe high up and put mono on
> each end. Then I can slide it to whatever length
> I need and have the rod laying horizontal at eye
> level and can turn the blank to coat evenly.

How were you removing the fumes... Im kinda considering the idea of somehow attaching a shopvac to the pipe then setting it outside.

Might hunt around at the fleamarket for a crappy vac and see what happens.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2013 12:38PM

Casey,
The solution is pretty simple.
Hang the rod outside - spray it, then bring it inside to let it dry.
No issue with fumes, overspray or anything else.

After I nearly did myself in from fumes- I do all paint spraying out of doors.

I like to do it - just as the sun is going down when the winds have died down for the day.

I do as the others have suggested.
I only paint blanks - never finished rods. Then, I use another blank inserted into the butt of the blank to hold it.

After spraying, I have a set of clamps to hold the butt blank to support the rod as the rod dries.

Good luck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 15, 2013 12:58PM

i have a spot and tape a paper clip to the end of the rod to hang it after painting
Like Roger said on good days mask off where the handles go and go outside hold in one hand paint hang up If it does not hit the floor Or slide into a supported pipe

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 15, 2013 08:15PM

A lot of great ideas here. Whatever you decide to build be sure to do it safely. isocyanates enter the system by soaking through the eyes and skin. If you cant move enough cubic feet of air through your garage i would also suggest doing it outside.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2013 09:16PM

About safety a lot of chemacals can affect your system in many ways

Even contact with small amounts many times over time one year- 5 years 10 years can be deadly at any time in any part of your internals, all chemicals will affect you to one degree or another.

All ways have ventilation, always and I cant emphasize that enough, I have had the unfortunate experience of finding someone over come, Allwayes ventilate!

All ways use protective equipment, gloves, glasses, exc. we create a lot of dust fumes and flying things from our lathes.

Please be safe I want to see all the same faces that I saw at my first icreb at next years.

Curt

Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.vikingpallet.com)
Date: May 16, 2013 09:47AM

When thinking about ways to paint blanks I decided to build holders that hold the rod vertically.

I drilled holes in the middle of decent sized blocks of wood, then screwed in the certain size threaded rod that fits the diameter of the butt fo the rod blank. This way I can add nuts onto the threaded rod where I want the rod blank to stop. I also tape the top of the rods with tefelon tape so I don't damage the inside of the blank anyway. However this method does not help with overspray and is a little harder to paint the tips on a 9' rod =/.

Jon Meyers
Loon State

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 16, 2013 10:07AM

Hello All.

Does anyone have pictures of their systems, I am having trouble seeing some of these in my (empty?) head?

Thanks to All!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: May 16, 2013 12:07PM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> Does anyone have pictures of their systems, I am
> having trouble seeing some of these in my (empty?)
> head?
>
> Thanks to All!

I plan on experimenting this weekend. Ill post some pics and feedback as to how things went

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 12:15AM

Hello Casey.

Thanks, I'll be looking for it.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster