I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Aussie rod builder? Blanks decision!
Posted by: Mark James (125.253.98.---)
Date: May 14, 2013 02:04AM

Hi all,

I have a question in regards to choosing a rod blank. The reason that it needs to be an Aussie builder is because it is comparing Samurai reaction 302-2 to MHX blanks, and to the best of my knowledge the Samurai reaction blanks are not available else where. (I could be wrong!)

I broke my samurai reaction 302-2, but before I go out and buy another one, I was wondering how the following to blank by mudhole compares to it as Im willing to try one as the samurai blank is quite expensive.

The blank im looking at is the SJ842-2-MHX

Also is there any other 2 pce blanks that are comparable to the samurai.

I have one more question that every one else maybe able to answear for me, what are the difference in characteristics between a spinjig blank and a mag bass blank?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Aussie rod builder? Blanks decision!
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 14, 2013 02:36AM

Hi Mark,
The broken rod can be repaired for a lot less than a new one!! Check the article in the library, it's a good one. I've fixed a few and the owners tell me that they can't notice any difference. The only tell tale is the difference in size where the outer sleeve sits and that's not a standout if it's done properly.
Where in Oz are you as I used to now a Mark James well..
I've got a HM-MB843-MHX and it's really nice. I don't know the difference between the Mag Bass and Spin Jig but a blank is a blank and doesn't care what style of rod you build on it. There is plenty of American builders here that can tell you the difference.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 14, 2013 02:48AM

G'day Mark

If your going to build another rod you can definitely do a lot better than the samurai blank for cheaper if you buy in the US.

They are dear as poison here.Not sure where you are located but if your near Col or I we could help you out.Let us know.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Dave O'Brien (202.74.138.---)
Date: May 14, 2013 05:51PM

Mark,

From what I have seen and dealt with the Mag bass they all seem to be fast action with a medium to heavy power rating and heavier in line rating I like using these for the likes of Barra, school Jew, Murray Cod and big flatties when I’m really ripping plastics

where the spin jig blanks are generally fast action but light to medium power and lighter line ratings I normally use these for my general fishing etc. heavy breaming, flatties and small school Jew (by catch from the flatties).

I have to say I’m with Ray there are definitely a lot better blanks than the samurai out there and for less but buying them here they can be dear as poison but postage can kill you if you buy in the US. (If you’re buying one offs, I generally buy enough to build a few rods and I come out way in front)

I would also look at the St. Croix, Lamiglas, Phoenix and American Tackle blanks (I haven't had any issues with any of these; they do fish well and feel good).

As Col has said there are plenty of American builders here that can tell you the difference between Mag Bass and spin Jig a lot better than most builders as most blanks are designed for their market

Dave O'Brien
Port Macquarie
Australia

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.094.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: May 14, 2013 07:20PM

Hi mate,

Take a look at american tackle matrix these are what i use when replacing the sams. I have some here if your local or let me know where you are i can get one of my prostaffers to show you thiers, my guys cover most of the east coast. Drop me an email if you want me to arrange something.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: Mark Fisher (101.103.9.---)
Date: May 15, 2013 06:38PM

Mark,

Mate, personally I would say support your local builders as much as you can. Mark Newcombe will look after you and not steer you wrong. He is building some really nice rods at the moment. The other option for a blanks is to speak to Peter Williams at GCCR in Surfers Paradise. He is the owner of United Composites USA and has some great blanks. He knows his blanks like no-one else and will give you some great advice. Many of his blanks are also built specially for the Aussie market as we have slightly different fishing styles than in the US.

Regards
Mark Fisher
Outback Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster