I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fish eyes in carbon fiber finish?
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: May 13, 2013 11:37AM

working on my first CF grip. I turned it to shape. pulled the cf over it and coated with the epoxy. let it turn on the dryer and then set up for 24 hrs. sanded to get rid of some dust and bumps. wiped it down with some DNA
put it back on the turner and applied the second coat of epoxy. I thought I gave it a good coat but then noticed that thre were some "bald" thin spots. when I went to give it a second sanding before the final finish I noticed they wre more like fisheyes. what did I do wrong? I sanded the best I cold for now and since it's only a practice grip I'm not too worried about it but I don't want to screw up the next one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fish eyes in carbon fiber finish?
Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2013 12:10PM

Fish eyes are usually some kind of contaminant. Could be the DNA. You need to make sure after wiping all the alcohol is completely removed/dry. If any gets trapped in a pocket or crevice it can escape later and will cause fish eyes.

This time of the year pollen can be the culprit too. I just had one. The nice spring weather had me open the windows in my shop and that was a mistake.

Could also be a tiny bubble working its way out during the cure.

Once you have fish eyes they are a pain to get rid of.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 12:45PM

I remember reading here that Tom has said to not use a solvent as the last step before applying finish.

If you're going to sand, I'd probably wait longer than 24 hours. Once sanded you should be able to gently dust the crud off and recoat.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 12:52PM

Gary,
NEVER< NEVER wipe down with DNA or any other solvent between coatings.

Rather, just use high pressure air to blow any dust off the surface.

If you need to wipe it down with something - simple clean soap and water and a rinse with clear water is a better option. But then leave the object under a fan for an hour or so, to be sure that it is 100% dry before applying finish.

But the best policy is to use NO solvent or heavy cleaner between coats. Jus to easy to end up with fish eye.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 01:45PM

It most likely is the DNA. There isn't any reason to wipe with a solvent after sanding! Blow it off as Roger mentions, or wiping it down with a microfiber cloth should be sufficient to get rid of the sanding dust.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 02:16PM

It is probaly the DNA but skin oils can also be the culprit. Mike does not clear coat but uses just the epoxy as a final finish so yes it is hard to get rid of fisheyes once formed. I clear coat mine so sanding out the fish eyes before the final coat is not that big a deal to me but I still try to avoid. I transfer mine to a wood dowel to spray and so I always, after the transfer, sand with 600 gt to get rid of skin oils .I then wipe with a clean rag and clear coat away.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: May 13, 2013 02:22PM

I'm going to clear coat too. I still see a few small areas where I cold sand more but for this piece it's OK. I'm just glad I screwed up the practice piece.
Dick, what do you use for clear coat? Auto clear coat or poly varnish. I've seen both used.

Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: May 13, 2013 03:45PM

I have found that I get a much better finish when using thinner coats. I was fighting and fighting the exact same problem you described then went to thinner coats.

problem went away.

I use auto clear as my final coat. I have noticed that using a fish eye eliminator greately helps keep the final coat from having fish eyes too

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 04:03PM

I've been using the Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Coating Clear and it has held up very well so far.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 13, 2013 04:04PM

Hi Gary,
Permagloss is a good clear coat and it's tough. Tom has posted a method on how to do it properly, basically turn the grip and apply with a foam brush in one go. You need to be sure the brush contains enough pg to do it in one pass. Not overly difficult.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2013 04:48PM

Roger is absolutely correct and we've stated it here many times - never use a solvent wipe as the last step in your surface prep.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 04:57PM

Gary,
I use both PermaGloss/Lumiseal and spray spar urethane. I use the spray on longer(9" or more) because I cannot seem to get enough on the foam brush to complete it in one pass.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 10:16PM

Wash wipe dry !!
sand
Then clean off dust if you want I use a paper towel DAMP Not Wet Or Better Dry
Then make sure the surface is COMPLETELY dry hit it with a hare dryer
then coat

never a clean with a solvent as last step

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster