I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave fly/spin???
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 08, 2013 10:36PM

This may sound weird but I am going to build a switchable Fly/Spinning rod for myself (MHX 4wt 4pc) and am curious if their would be any advantage (or disadvantage) to using Microwave guides. It will more than likely see more use in spinning configuration. If nothing else, it will sure get a lot of strange looks LOL!
Any thoughts??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave fly/spin???
Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 08, 2013 10:42PM

lol hey mike long time no talk! :)

i just put some on a 7' 6 spinning rod and they are feeling pretty nice and light wonder what would happen if i put my fly reel on and tried it haha but i guess fly line would have little effect with the guides? not sure i never really bothered to look at the fly line going through the guides when i cast lol

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2013 11:10PM

No reason why you can't. The microwave already contains the line taming guide. Should work great!

Send some pics when you are done Mike.

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2013 05:54AM

As long as the fly line loops and knots go though the guides

What about Minima 4s - not 3s

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2013 05:55AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.196.---)
Date: May 09, 2013 07:56AM

I would think it would work great, but would sure like larger running guides than what comes with the microwave. IMHO

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2013 08:50AM

make up your own set up

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: May 09, 2013 09:34AM

As pointed out the only issue I see, is if the Microwave set will pass the knots for the fly line.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2013 10:25AM

If you are using a 4wt line there should be no issues with passing the connections.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2013 12:04PM

Mike,
You could do that - but WHY?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 09, 2013 12:44PM

Roger, Why Not??? I feel that the Microwave system is an all around superior system for spinning rods but don't know a lot about fly rods.
Chris, Michael and Bill What do you think about using Minima 5 or 6's for running guides??

Chris, this is all your fault LOL! I fwll in love with that spin/fly rod you had at the Michigan Roundup

Thanks for the comments/suggestions

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Grant Gisondo (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 09, 2013 12:50PM

The microwaves work fantastic on a fly line. Added 20 ft to my cast

Posted by: Grant Gisondo (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 09, 2013 12:51PM

The microwaves work fantastic on a fly line. Added 20 ft to my cast

Date: May 09, 2013 12:52PM

Roger, fly blanks built as spinning rods have some definite niches: 1-3 wts are great ultra light rods, much more comfortable to cast than the 5-6 foot ones that are traditional, forgiving on crappie lips, and they set the hook better due to their length, wonderful with small cranks. 4-6 wts work well with the lures up to about 1/4 oz. I built a 6 into a travel spin rod for very light jigs on braid, worked great for the smaller fish common along the rocks (salt water) where the surf breaks over and creates a "channel." It also would allow for good bonefishing with jigsin deeper bone habitats when the wind comes up and one has trouble fly casting in the wind.

Most people, IMHO, have been oversold on "fast."

Date: May 09, 2013 03:00PM

I think I used Minima 3s in size 5 on that rod. I will check when I get home. I just wish the owner hadn't blown that rod up in two places!!

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2013 03:10PM

Chris,
Look at it this way;
The rod died,doing what it was supposed to be doing!!

Date: May 09, 2013 03:34PM

Nope. A bubba hookset on a 20# river salmon is not its intended use. The rod is build on a 7.5" 5 piece 4 wt blank. It broke at the tip of the butt and the tip of the 3rd section. Looks like clean edges, no tearing of fibres.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: May 09, 2013 04:01PM

Mike, I really know nothing about using the small guides on a fly rod since mine were fly blanks built to spin fish, and I'm not a fly expert. Having said that, all you need do, I believe, is to make sure your connections go cleanly through the guides. That means any kind of line to leader knot, but more importantly, any kind of line to backing knot that you will use. The leader knot can be carefully fed, but not so the backing knot. I believe the smallest knot that works well for fly line to backing is the Albright, only two thicknesses of the thicker line, unlike many other knots that have as many as five layers of the thick line. I would think that 6's would be plenty big enough. I think I have 6's on my eight weight fly rod. Isn't that second guide a 5.5? That might need some special attention, maybe another guide of same height but same diameter as the running guides that you find work ok. If 5.5's work ok, and the second guide is a 5.5, I think you're done.

I'll probably kick over another bee hive, but fish don't break rods, fishermen break rods. If the rod is pointing generally at the fish, it won't break.

Posted by: George Kerr (---.lightspeed.gnbonc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 10, 2013 12:04PM

Grant. You used microwave guides on a fly rod?

George Greensboro, N.C.

Posted by: George Kerr (---.lightspeed.gnbonc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2013 12:02AM

Hi Mike,
I would be curious to know how this works out using the microwave guides.

George Greensboro, N.C.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: May 13, 2013 06:26PM

the minima 3's that I used for the running guides have a 5.2 mm inside diameter. they are more than large enough for a 5wt fly line with loop connectors.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster