I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Custom?
Posted by: gaston arnold (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 05:37PM

In your opinions what makes a rod custom?im just curious how other people define it.i personally believe that if a person comes to you for a rod it's custom as they couldn't get what they wanted at a store no matter how flashy or utilitarian it is.my builds are the latter category with little touches

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom?
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 05:43PM

Hi,

This has been discussed many times. My bottom line is what the customer calls it. Customers think all different things.

Don't they say the customer is always right?

Capt Neil Faulkner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2013 05:50PM by Capt Neil Faulkner.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 05, 2013 05:46PM

I don't think you want to open that can of worms again but since you did...... Most (not all) agree that a"custom" rod is built for a specific person for a specific need. Weather that need is a particular type of fishing or a particular look to a rod. It is ordered by one person and built by another. If a rod is hand crafted ahead of time to sit on a shelf until someone buys it, is it custom or a nice hand crafted rod? I say hand crafted, but that does not mean lesser quality by any means.

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.58.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 07:08PM

HI Mr. Arnold,

I make what I call" Custom Ordered Fishing Rod ", That is a rod .1 you can"t buy on line ' 2 you can't buy at a tackle shop off the rod rack. When you buy a rod from me, you must pick all the components from my catalog, that is 7 to 10 parts, I will spend what ever time it takes,to help you get to a rod YOU want. This can take 1 hr or more , the last rod I made took about 4 hrs. for him to pick out,(with my help) took me 5 days to build, and 8.hrs.to cure out
YOU'R money YOU'R way . With my help if you need it!
Now I do it that way. You Get what you want.

Need a CUSTOM ROD .. Lets Meetup ,Call me so we can plan a set down to make a plan.

LINEGRABBER CUSTOM RODS 1-706-652-3409 Maysville GA.

What is life without fishing ?

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 08:27PM

Richard Curry you just made me crave burger king lol :)

to me custom is taking the blank you want and adding whichever parts you want i call this customer because im only making one like this that fits the person perfectly...im not making 300 just like this one...well if you want 300 of them haha

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.88-67-202.dynamic.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: May 05, 2013 08:59PM

If the order spec card has a name on it prior to the build then its custom. If the order card is for a reseller then its a stock rod imho. Both may be the same specs but both are different products mainly governed by price.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 09:08PM

Thay are all hand made rods, Hand made custom rods are a specific rod built to a specific persons desires, wants and needs and that is the only difference.

Curt

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 06:00PM

This subject was hashed to death about a month ago. Do a search on the subject and find that thread.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 06:06PM

Customs are on the Photo Page

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 09:36PM

Thanks to those who replied and Phil I guess I'll ask my questions elsewhere.i did a search and didn't find exactly what I was was looking for so I asked myself.maybe I've got the wrong forum here

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 06, 2013 09:43PM

Gaston, don't be afraid to ask your questions here....it seems a lot of people on here would rather tell other users to do a search rather than answer the questions or just ignore them.

Date: May 06, 2013 09:52PM

Thanks Don that's kinda the impression I've been getting lately if I wanted to do searches for awnsers instead of small discussions I'd just google my questions

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 10:48PM

That is kind of harsh. Some of these questions have been hashed over time and time again. Spine vs. straightest axis, spiral wrap vs. conventional, single foot vs, snake and etc. Some people are just tired of repeating themselves. Somtimes searches save both questionarres and peiple who answer a lot of time.

Date: May 06, 2013 10:57PM

I don't think it's harsh at all if someone doesn't want to awnser my question then scroll on by I don't need pointed towards the search button(I know where that's at)

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 11:06PM

I use the search on this site all the time. If I can't find my answer then I will ask a question. I guess I would rather be an independent learner than spoon fed.

Date: May 06, 2013 11:27PM

Well I guess we can each use the forum the way we see fit I'd just rather converse with a person than scroll threw old post.good night

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.68.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 07, 2013 02:14AM

Jon,

I hope I made my point. Did I do that? (L O L )

What is life without fishing ?

Date: May 07, 2013 10:35AM

Richard

Yes you did And are correct it is a rod one cannot get off the shelf

But a lot of companies are building them with ideas they find on forms like this

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Phillips (---.netrun.cytanet.com.cy)
Date: May 10, 2013 02:19PM

In my mind a Custom Rod is any rod built by a single rod builder to the specs and likes of the buyer. You simply cannot buy a custom made rod off the shelf of a store. Another thing is I never accepted the term "hand made" as ALL rods, mass production or custom, are indeed hand made. As far as I know there is no rod making machine invented so far. So , the important value of a Custom made rod lies in the personal detailed and meticulous attention a good rod builder gives it during its building stage. Indeed I haven't up until this moment heard of any mass production Acid Wrapped rod. And the simple reason is that its construction is far too laborious and time consuming for any mass producing company to take up such a task!

Phillips Hot Rods
C Y P R U S
[phillipshotrods.wix.com]

Date: May 10, 2013 02:34PM

I have not gotten into it but there are spiral rods How they are made I have no idea if the line is checked or the retrieve is checked to see if line goes on one side of the real and then guides adjusted ????

Microwave will probably be here or should I say on the SHELF soon ????

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster