I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Big Mess
Posted by: mike platt (---.209.113.220.conversent.net)
Date: February 25, 2003 12:48PM

I have a serious problem on my hands and could really use some advice.

I mixed up a batch of new Flex Coat and started to apply it. I got two guides done then all of a sudden it started thicken up on me. The result was the next 3 guides I did were a complete mess. The stuff was hardening extremely fast. The first guides I did took 3 hours to set up and the last guides took 15 minutes and where dry!! Something went seriously wrong. I used heat to try and salvage my efforts but to no avail. Now I need some advice on removing the guides so I cant start over again. Also is there a better finish out there other than Flex Coat ? Maybe something that is a little thinner ?

Please Help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big Mess
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.56.167.149.Dial1.Raleigh1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2003 01:50PM

Flex Coat is a great wrap finish and is almost foolproof. The fact that some of your guides took longer than others to set up, and I assume were coated with epoxy from the same batch, tells me you didn't do something right.

Measuring and mixing are very critical in regards to how well our epoxies set and cure. Please do a search here on this board to uncover some tips that will be helpful to you.

Flex Coat has a pot life, at normal room temperature, of about 25 minutes or so. How long did you spend on those first two guides? If you're spending more than a minute per guide, you need to reconsider your application technique. Get those wraps covered quickly - move along. You can come back after the bulk of the finishing is done to touch in bare spots or smooth out lumpy areas.

LS Supreme has more pot life than any other finish I know of and that might help you a bit. You could also mix up two batches of Flex Coat, one after the other, if you just can't get more than a couple guides covered before the stuff starts to thicken.

To removed the guides, go to the FAQs page and read up on removing and rewrapping. It's no fun, but not hard to do.

Posted by: Doug Schow (---.ei.ubesd.k12.or.us)
Date: February 25, 2003 02:31PM

I am not sure but does the heat not speed up the chemical reaction of the epoxy and make it harden faster.

not sure but I think it might.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 25, 2003 03:05PM

Re applying heat: Yes, increasing temperature increases the rate of the chemical reaction, in this case, hardening of the epoxy. A rule of thumb, and a good one for most chemical reactions, is that the reaction rate approximately doubles for every 20-degree (F) increase in temperature. Don't confuse this effect with what happens temporarily when you heat the epoxy while it is still in a liquid or semi-liquid state. It will become for the moment less viscous and flow better; this is a physical, not chemical change. Meanwhile, the chemical change is proceeding inexorably, and you are speeding it up by the heating.

Posted by: jeff velthouse (---.181.triton.net)
Date: February 25, 2003 05:00PM

Mike, You can also warm up your bottles or syringes in warm water before mixing to help thin flex coat alittle. But the warming prosess will make it set alittle faster. On the other hand it's easier to work with so you can get the job at hand done faster. It's a catch 22 you see. It sounds to me like you didn't have equal parts or you didn't mix properly. I stir slowely 20 times in each direction scraping the sides each time I switch directions until the epoxy turns clear again and then I stir another 40 times in each direction. Mix it really well slowley so to not add bubbles and use a metal object to stir with. Also always mix more than you need. Tom k. in his book recomends never mix less than 3cc at a time, that is good advice. Also if it starts acting funny stop with the wrap you've just completed so you don't have a Big Mess.

Posted by: Ron Wood (---.znet.net)
Date: February 25, 2003 05:05PM

Mike,

Sounds to me that you mixed a good sized batch in a cup. If you leave it in the cup it will set up faster due to an exothermic reaction, the chemical reaction causes heat. Best to spread it out on aluminum foil anfter mixing, or mix on the foil in the first place. When you spread it out you will extend the pot life.

Posted by: Jeff Brinn (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 25, 2003 07:44PM

I'm with Tom on this one, sounds like your mixture may have been off or not fully mixed. Also something to check is that you got the proper type of Flexcoat, make sure you didn't get sent Rod Builder Epoxy instead of Rod Finish. There is a big difference as I found out, the hard way. Make sure what you order is what you get before you use it.

Posted by: ralph jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 25, 2003 09:59PM

Put the two bottles of Flex-Coat in your shirt pocket while finishing up to start mixing and applying Flex-Coat.(30min.or so) This will warm Flex-Coat or LS-Supreme ror that matter, just enough.

Posted by: ralph jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 25, 2003 10:02PM

Sorry, don't forget to pour mixture onto foil to put on guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster