I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy advice
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 09:54AM

New rod builders usually have questions about applying epoxy to thread wraps. What five pieces of advice would you experienced builders give to newcomers on this subject?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy advice
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2013 10:04AM

I can sum it up in one - Do Less.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.128.---)
Date: April 27, 2013 10:18AM

1)Measure the amounts of both parts of epoxy evenly and accurately
2) stir for the reccomended amount of time (no short cuts)
3)mix thoughly but not violently so to introduce the least amount of bubbles as possible
4) once mixed pour onto a piece of aluminum foil to help extend pot life
5)Apply epoxy with a spatula (I use a brush with hardened epoxy on it) with long, steady strokes, and wipe off the excess using the spatula
6) check for bubbles for at least 30 minutes (I pop them using a lighter to flame the finish...others don't)

Hope that helps though they are short answers...a whole article could be writen in detail just on applying epoxy to the threads (it has probably been covered a RodMaker article or may even be in the library).

Thanks,

Dan Grulke

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 10:19AM

1.mix properly-50/50 and for the recommended time........2.temperture-make sure the room is within the recommended working temp.......3.apply by hand-using a brush or spatula turn the rod by hand alowing the epoxy to flow off the utensil onto the wrap........4.drip-once the threads are coated allow the rod to sit and drip excess off(this where I use the torch and get most of the bubbles and get the epoxy to drip quicker).....5.leave it alone-transfer rod to dryer,turn on and leave it alone until dry,any imperfections after this can be taken care of with a buff of scotch brite and another thin coat

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 10:23AM

I'll add a few basics that always seem to come up.

1) Measure. Use syringes and measure carefully. mix in batches of 2ml (total) or more to improve accuracy.
2) Mix. For at least 2 minutes, then mix another 1-2.
3) Let the bubbles release on their own, or blow on the mix to help this along
4) Load up your tool with finish and transfer quickly to the wrap while the rod is turning, either by hand or motorized using a quick spin.
5) Leave it alone and let it level. You shouldn't spend more than 15-20 seconds per wrap.

Terry

Posted by: Walt Foreman (---)
Date: April 28, 2013 01:29AM

1) Buy one of Mudhole's electric epoxy mixers - best $40 you ever spent.
2) Have the rod turning on a lathe or rod dryer so the epoxy dries evenly.
3) What Tom said.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 09:00AM

Make sure the rod is Level or the finish will slide to the low end

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 12:03PM

Dust, drafts, pets, and insects may deserve mention.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 09:58PM

Find a product that meets your needs. Maybe you need more flexibility. Maybe you need better UV resistance. Take the time to learn its behavior and give it a fair trail. You might even want one product for the guide wraps and another for the butt wrap.

If what you are doing works well, stay with it.

Be willing to mix an extra batch now and then.

Don't blame a product for problems that you create yourself. Fisheyes might be a good example.

I find I "want" to start at the butt end and work forward but it goes much better the other way around.

Do not apply finish when the blank is on the dryer motor. It is way too slow. OTH, I don't think it is possible to turn the blank too fast as long as you are willing to consider two coats.

Whatever you do don't think you are painting. Better you use an eyedropper and drop a big gob on the middle of the thread and just "let it do its thing".

There is very little that you can do wrong that can't be fixed with a file/sandpaper and another coat. Making it smoke/burn is one of the few!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 03:30PM

Clenlyness ito godlyness
just keep everything Clean Wash the hands often

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark L'Oste-Brown (158.89.13.---)
Date: May 14, 2013 02:54PM

Rid you world of Silicon spray. My mate learnt the hard way after he serviced some reels in his rod making room. Silicon is the enemy of a decent epoxy job!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster