I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

glitter in finish
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 10:22PM

Is there a formula for adding glitter to finish. For instance do you add a certain amount for every ounce of finish or just wing it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: glitter in finish
Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 10:43PM

I did this years ago and I prefer the fine ground over anything and you don't need much so, a little is enough! I can't say for sure if this is true but I swear the glitter would make the epoxy set up faster!

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: April 26, 2013 10:52PM

I use it a lot. I got the ultra fine multi-colored glitter from Michaels. A little will indeed go a long way, I use the high build with glitter in it, and it really does give the rod little subtle flair.

Date: April 26, 2013 11:48PM

Thankys guys. I got the silver glitter from Mud Hole im hoping to add a little bling without adding weight will apply it to thread wraps with chartruese thread. If i get it on a little heavy i guess i can cut it off and start over.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 06:10AM

Do a test wrap on a scrap first.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: keith corwin (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 27, 2013 07:17AM

1/4." x1/4 " on a spatula, per 5 grams of finish is a good starting point.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 09:30AM

Depending on the size of glitter there may be some spots where the glitter is not lying flat. Another coat will smooth it out

Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 04:13PM

With all that glitter and sparkle wouldn't it look like a piece of jewelry? I thought we are designing fishing rods... :) Or, is it for a girl? How much glitter and metallic is too much? Sorry, if it's a bit off the topic.

Date: April 27, 2013 04:34PM

As i said hoping to add some flash without weight the green was chosen to match an Okuma Helios spinning reel.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 05:33PM

Roman, since glitter is sold by rod building supply houses Ibelieveit to ea question of a rod building topic.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 08:53PM

I've done it on a few rods.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 09:24PM

I have repaired a few rods sold by Bass Pro shops that used red glitter in the epoxy and looked pretty nice. When I mixed the glitter in the epoxy all I used was whatever glitter stuck to the mixing stick and it worked very well, stayed suspended and did not leave a rough finish. Michaels has the very fine type in a six pack pretty inexpensive. And yes I did a test wrap which I would recommend.

Just a thought for others, I saved the mixing cup with the unused epoxy to show customers, that might want something different on their rod

Tom

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 28, 2013 12:48AM

I use it all the time, mostly the silver and gold. The extra fine stuff works the best. I got the 6 pack from Michaels, will last forever as one finger tap on the jar is more than enough. Riley rods also sells a metallic micro flake in a bunch of colors.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 10:06AM

Do you just add it to the expoxy while yoou are mixing it?

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 28, 2013 04:53PM

Yes Bruce...and remember a little goes a long way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster