I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Friday No No
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 26, 2013 11:19AM

Rod building is a constant adventure in 'Live & Learn' education. Was removing a cracked wooden handle from a beautiful Batson RX8, 9', 3wt. Wrapped the Window Reel seat in a plastic bag and put it in boiling water for 30 secs. Took it out, and wearing leather gloves, quickly twisted the seat loose and removed it. Got a deeper pan and did the same thing for the wooden handle. Wrapped the upper part of the rod just above the handle with a long strip of rubber cut from a bike tire. ( I have done this many times successfully). Once water was boilibng in the deeper pan, I lowered the handle in and left it there for approx 30 secs. One of my dogs ran by and I lost my focus for a split sec and must have let the rod blank hit the top edge of the pan. When I pulled it out and made a firm twist on the handle while other hand was tightly gripped to the wrapped rubber...... the rod broke just above the handle. Perhaps there was a nick there already that I did not notice but I think not. That blank was in almost brand new condition. I'm sure I compromised the strength by allowing the graphite to touch the edge of the hot pan. No one was at home at the time so I both cried and cussed for a short time. And the handle was a beautiful Blabaum! The best rod blank I own broke. This afternoon I will attempt to create and extension piece for a new handle. As I said..... lots of Live & Learn!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Friday No No
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 12:11PM

Condolences.

An opportunity to learn something different(IE rod extending).

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 12:17PM

Any chance you could order a bottom section? Might be worth a try.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 02:46PM

Batson's will surely replace the section for you, although it will probably cost you a little but less than a new blank. The repair in that area should be pretty straightforward though. Let us know how it goes.

Terry

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 06:48PM

30 sec is not long enough for the heat to get to the epoxy through either wood or cork! You may not have damaged the blank, just twisted a solidly adhered handle. I remove lots of reel seat and a few wood handles, and I find it takes at least 10min for the heat to soften the epoxy.

Posted by: John Ashburn (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 28, 2013 10:29AM

NEVER twist when removing a reel seat or grip. Always use a straight pulling motion. It's more difficult, but won't result in a broken blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 01:41PM

I just went to wrap some guides on a rod
Set up then went to pick up the cissors and found I have dripped some finish on them and the razzor blade under it Must have dripped off the brush when coating some handles

Just looked at it and shock my head A little heat and they came right off

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2013 05:52PM

I doubt touching the blank to the pan did anything at all unless there was a flame running up the side of the pan. The water in the pan would moderate the temperature of the sides of the pan itself. Most likely, twisting and/or a combination of twisting and a hidden damage are the cause of the failure. The wooden handle probably concentrated the stresses you applied more so than a more compliant handle material would have.

Date: April 28, 2013 06:00PM

Sounds like instead of trying to do some thing cheap
Cut it all off and replace it with new

They pay or go down the road

Who @#$%& up these charges for this REPAIR - Parts -- YOU ???

Buisness is buisness

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2013 06:12PM

Bill,

I have no idea what that means.

Date: April 29, 2013 04:25PM

Sounds like you tried to save the parts
maybe just cutting them off and replaceing them might have been thew better way ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 05:28PM

Bill ,it was his own rod with a Mark Blabaum grip. I would save it to.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: April 30, 2013 03:20AM

Hello Bill.

Fred X10

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 30, 2013 07:17AM

I did a boo boo on a friends rod and had to replace the blank Saved the seat and butt But I did it under the forgrip

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 30, 2013 01:25PM

Hello Bill.

Yes Bill that might work also.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: May 01, 2013 12:12PM

I have eatten some when I had to

But maybe a new blank and a complete rebuild ??? heck it is a nice 3 wt

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 02, 2013 03:44PM

Thanks for the replies guys. No doubt, the screw up was mine. I have removed many reel seats and a few handles for rebuilds that I give to kids and a children's summer camp south of Des Moines. 30 secs-60 secs has always been enough but sometimes I did have to do it a second time. I think I have learned 2 major things out of this 'cluster-debacle': Keep it in the boiling water for a considerable longer time and eliminate even a small twist. However, one of the great things about rods for yourself is the 'outside the box'/ 'creative' aspect. I am in the process of completing my re-build. Created an extension for the butt/handle area. Going to make an all cork/burl handle -reel seat. I'll post a few pics when I'm done. Sure won't be a Blabaum though. Mark, I may have to barter with you a little at the next tri-state!

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.230.124.---)
Date: May 02, 2013 08:25PM

Steve let me know and I'll try to work something out with you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster