I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

my first attempt with a rod renovation
Posted by: keith david (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 11:17AM

Hello to all, ok so i have been lurking in the shadows on this forum for some time now. I have spend alot of time researching rod building cause I tend to go over board with new hobbies plus i was not in a rush. I stumbled across a renzetti lath for $125 a few months ago and been practiseing guide wrapps and now im reaady to dive in. I have seen a tremendous amount of quality work from this forum and here i am. Thanks to all I have seen here, alot of posts and photos made me feel as if i can to this.

So I have an old rod some one gave me to redo. My first of im sure hundreds of questions i will be asking to you all, is if i wanted to paint the blank with some thing that will last a long time what should i use(bottom rod heavy action)? Im in no rush,so if the best way takes a week to cure great. I have read of people using polyurethane with a black pigment added, while others are using spray paint. So what should i do in order to get the best results, and what brands are the best for that job?

Thank you in advance for your input
and thank for the insripation. I look forward to ripping my f king hair out with a new hobby.lol

Tight lines

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: my first attempt with a rod renovation
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 12:04PM

Hello Keith.

First you need to answer some questions.
What do you want in a rod?(light, sensitive, responsive, or are you just in for the bling, or maybe some of both?).
The lightest most sensitive would be a bare rod.
Next would be a simple coat of Perma Gloss or LumiSeal but if you want color those two can only be shaded and not colored so you would need to paint(what type of paint(Gloss flat?) auto, model, acrylic?).
Once painted, will it hold up on it's own or will it need some kind of covering?(PG over paint?).
I could go on for a while but the best thing you could do is take your thoughts and aim them at what you want to do either with THIS blank, or what blank you need to do some other task with, once you know what you want to accomplish with the blank you will have an idea of what to do or leastways you will know most of the questions you need to ask, everyone, and I mean everyone has questions at some time or another, the trick is figuring out what(subject) and how(phrasing) to ask the question.

Welcome and Good Luck.
Keep the questions coming but always think them through before asking them to get the Best answer you can, you may find your answering a lot of your own questions.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 26, 2013 12:09PM

Thanks Bob, I am going to take some time to figure out the right questuins. Off to work but will post them. thank you so much

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 05:47PM

I have painted only a half dozen or so blanks. My best results came from the paint which is used on car bumpers. I t flexes with out chipping. It does require an adhesion promoter and a clear coat on top so several coats will be applied. Krypton for plastics is good also but not my preference.

Do a search on top of this page. Be sure to check"All Dates" and hit "Search"

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: keith david (---.tmodns.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 07:49PM

Ok, so the more questions i think of, the more questions i think of. Funny huh. I am looking to build quality rods for myself, it would be nice to have bling, but, bling does not assist in the fight or landing of a fish.I am looking to have rods that give the best fight, so I guess it would be an un painted blank.
but shpuld a blank have a of Perma Gloss or LumiSeal and how much would it affect the action on a heavy bottom rod vs a light spinning or casting rod. Is the Perma gloss a must or a preference.

THanks gents.
tight lines

Posted by: keith david (---.tmodns.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 07:55PM

Bill Eshelman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have painted only a half dozen or so blanks. My
> best results came from the paint which is used on
> car bumpers. I t flexes with out chipping. It does
> require an adhesion promoter and a clear coat on
> top so several coats will be applied. Krypton for
> plastics is good also but not my preference.
>
> Do a search on top of this page. Be sure to
> check"All Dates" and hit "Search"
>
> Bill
THanks Bill, Is that bumper paint available at stores like PEP Boys. And would a coat of Permagloss affect that paint?
thanks in advance
tight lines

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 05:40PM

Keith, rule number 1. All blanks fish best as a cane pole and everything else you add only hurts them. Considering that we may want a reel and may need to cast requires some compromise. Point is to keep those compromising decisions to a minimum while still allowing the rod to perform its intended task.

You mention a "heavy bottom rod" yet no name/model. I have St. Croix blanks that some might call a heavy bottom rod. They are so light for their power that I feel it would be a crime to add any more weight than essential. On the other hand I have some older fiberglass bottom rods that weigh so much in their birthday suit that I could slather on a coat of epoxy and hardly notice it. So it "all depends".

I'd encourage you to start off on the right foot and go with a "less is more" approach. I would not look to paint a blank. It is one thing if a paying customer demands it but that doesn't seem the case. Now if your vanity demands the bling I'd go talk to my local auto paint place (with a case or two of beer in hand) and hope he is planning on shooting some color you could live with.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: May 02, 2013 09:25AM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith, rule number 1. All blanks fish best as a
> cane pole and everything else you add only hurts
> them. Considering that we may want a reel and may
> need to cast requires some compromise. Point is
> to keep those compromising decisions to a minimum
> while still allowing the rod to perform its
> intended task.
>
> You mention a "heavy bottom rod" yet no
> name/model. I have St. Croix blanks that some
> might call a heavy bottom rod. They are so light
> for their power that I feel it would be a crime to
> add any more weight than essential. On the other
> hand I have some older fiberglass bottom rods that
> weigh so much in their birthday suit that I could
> slather on a coat of epoxy and hardly notice it.
> So it "all depends".
>
> I'd encourage you to start off on the right foot
> and go with a "less is more" approach. I would
> not look to paint a blank. It is one thing if a
> paying customer demands it but that doesn't seem
> the case. Now if your vanity demands the bling
> I'd go talk to my local auto paint place (with a
> case or two of beer in hand) and hope he is
> planning on shooting some color you could live
> with.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. The rod im doing i call heavy bottom cause its an old rod with no name on it. But im going to go with the less is more approach, I see you are in Hollywood, fl.. im in Tamarac. Do you know of a store called Allfish emporium(was Big Als aquarium). I would like to meet local rod builders. Do you ever fish the piers? I would love to see pics of your shop, see how a real rod smith has it set up. Thanks again so much for the help.
regards, Keith M. David ( the fat man) tight lines and tight wraps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster