I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Timer on dryer?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2013 04:43PM

Do any rod builders use timers with their dryers?

Many rod builders have other jobs in addition to building rods. As a result, if a person puts a rod on a dryer, it is sometimes very nice to be able to let the rod dry for 4-6 hours to become tack free and then have a timer turn the rod off - with no one around to turn off the dryer. One very good reason for this, is that if some sort of drier malfunction occurs - like a rod falling out of a dryer - but it happened after the dryer had turned off, damage would be minimized.

I have been selling quite a few drum dryers and some of the clients have requested a timer for the very reasons listed above.

I have done some looking and single shot timers are not readily available.

However, after thinking about it for a bit, there is a very simple solution to this timing issue.

If one obtains a 24 hour motor driven timer that are readily available for turning lights on and off, when you are away, you can easily modify the timer to be a single shot timer.

Disassemble the timer and expose both the motor leads, as well as the switch leads.

In normal operation the clock motor is connected full time to the incoming AC wall voltage. Then, the item to be timed is plugged into the outlet that is built into the timer.

But, if one cuts the wire that feeds the motor from the full time AC voltage to the same switch contact as powers the item being switched, the timer motor will be switched on and off at the same time as the item being timed.

So, lets say that you want a 6 hour drying time. You have modified the timer to be as listed above.
You have set the start and stop tabs on the timer - 6 hours apart.
Plug in the timer to wall power.
Plug in the dryer to the timer outlet.
Rotate the timer dial - until the dryer starts.

Now, 6 hours later, as the timer motor rotates the dial and the turn on / turn off levers - the dryer will be shut off. At the same time that the switch contacts open to shut off the dryer, the same switch contacts that power the timer motor open and also shut off the timer motor.

Hence - you have a "single shot" timer that will turn on a timer for any interval up to 24 hours, but will then shut off and stay off - until the timer dial is rotated again, until it hits the on lever on the timer.

Be safe
REW

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Timer on dryer?
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2013 05:56PM

Roger, Nice idea!!

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: April 25, 2013 06:18PM

G''Day Roger I use a timer that plugs into the power point & then the plug from the dryer plugs into that. That way I can control the time that the dryer is running .You can also set the time that it will switch on & off I found that I didn't need to modify it as I always put my things away from small hands (Grandkids) that live with me. Also space with me is at a premium so tidiness is a must.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 06:25PM by Barry Chapman.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 25, 2013 09:07PM

Lynn WIlliams has a 12 hour timer on his dryer. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2013 09:45PM

Roger I have a westec mechanical timer 12 hour just turn the dial to your time it is hooked up to 120V to a duplex socket with a 12 V DC plug in converter

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 09:50PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 01:52AM

Thanks everyone for the response as well as e--mails.

I realize now, that I was doing a search using the incorrect words. Once I used the words, "12 hour timer", I came up with several candidates, including some of the ones listed above for a very reasonable amount of money.

Thanks again.

the forum members pulled me through again.

Roger

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.atos.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 08:27AM

If you use a timer with "ON" and "OFF" tabs then only use the "OFF" tab. Set the timer to the correct time place the "OFF" tab to the time you want it to stop and turn on the timer. When the timer shuts off it cant come on without the "ON" tab and will stay off.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: April 26, 2013 10:17AM

I've been using timers since the day I installed my dryer. I control both the lights (heat) and rotation.

I can have my box preheated and ready for finishing by the time I get home from work, or before I get out of bed in the morning. And I can turn off the lights or rotation at what ever time I'd like when I no longer need that function. I'll turn off rotation when the finish gets firm enough to not sag but leave the lights on to push the cure.

Only way to fly

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 26, 2013 01:28PM

I, too, have used a light timer for years.

Another good idea is to buy a small UPS (Battery Backup Power Supply) and plug your timer into that. It might cost you 50 bucks, but saves some grief when the power fails.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster