I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A "how to" question - removing finish
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2013 01:55PM

While working on a new rod I elected to move a couple of guides that I had finished with Thread Master lite. Cut epoxy off top of guide and was able to peel if off as per usual. However in this case there is a layer of finish that was under the thread that does not want to come off. This is a St Croix SCV so I do not want to use any harsh solvent that would also take the finish off. This is a thin layer so I really cannot get a blade under an edge. I am stuck?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A "how to" question - removing finish
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2013 02:20PM

You can try warming it with a hairdryer or heat gun (carefully) and then scrapping it off with something like credit card, again very carefully. This much more touchy on a blank with a finish than one left plain.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 25, 2013 02:21PM

St Croix Blanks have a relatively soft finish so what you may be seeing is that the original thread actually grooved into the blank finish. You can tell this if it's grooved only where the thread was. It could be the remaining old epoxy finish however.

One trick I use is to soak a paper towel with Denatured alcohol and spin the blank on my rod wrapper. The blank heats up a bit and most of this stuff comes right off. You'll know in a about 15 seconds if this is going to work. The old finish will start to come off, leaving a smooth blank finish underneath. With St. Croix, there is a chance that the blank finish will also come off, as I've had their finish react with alcohol where other manufacturers do not. If this happens, just recoat that section with permagloss and you should be fine.

Terry

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 09:37PM

Denatured does take the finish off the blank, I tried it. The spots do show grooves but it looks like the area is raised. I did not think about this being a raised finish but you may be spot on. Wonder if I could buff these smooth?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 09:55PM

If the original St Croix finish is effected by the DNA there is not much you can do to make look like it isn't effected.The St Croix finish is easily effected by most solvents, some even remove the finish rapidly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster