I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Long distance casting with an air cannon?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2013 08:46PM

Any thoughts for a good rod and guide setup for a rod to be used with an air cannon for distance casting into the Surf?

[www.youtube.com]

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long distance casting with an air cannon?
Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 22, 2013 09:42PM

Just don't use it on any beach designated National Seashore......if caught with one there, it gets you the same fine as possession of a firearm.....

Date: April 22, 2013 10:13PM

Sandy,
Why -
It is not a firearm. It does not use gun powder. It only uses air.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2013 10:21PM

They outlawed "potato guns" decades ago on Hatteras.

Date: April 23, 2013 12:29AM

Jay,
But Potato Guns use propane from the hair spray bottle to shoot the potatoes, not air.

However, I have no idea about local laws and regulations in those areas, so I will certainly not bring any sort of cannon to any place.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 23, 2013 12:40AM

The sturgeon fisherman here on the Columbia river install a big slingshot on their truck bumper to launch their offerings further than they could ever cast them. Not everyone has one, everyone just groups around the guy with the gear and he just fans them out across the water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2013 12:41AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2013 08:15AM

Cannons make noise - that could be a problem in some locations

My guess is that the accompanying rod and reel would need to be pretty stout to handle the shock of the propeled bait. And you'd certainly need to hold on tight to prevent your rod from disappearing over the horizon!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2013 09:08AM

"Potato Cannons" and "Spud Guns" are indeed regulated by the BATF.

There are other methods of firing bait a long distance - massive sling shots for instance. Because of the rapid acceleration, you'd most likely be best off with something like an Alvey reel if you're going to employ such a thing. You might also consider the remote controlled bait boats used by European carp fishermen these days. Just drive the bait out to where you want it, dump it, and have the boat return to you.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 23, 2013 09:26AM

Y ' KNOW ITS JUST LIKE THE GOVT. TO SUCK THE FUN OUT OF EVERYTHING ! Larry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 23, 2013 10:28AM

Don't go on any plain flights No people to whatch the plans land or take off

God Bless The Goverment LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: April 23, 2013 10:59AM

Roger, I just had my 75th birthday and I may have lived too long. I think this is nuts. If you can't cast that far, then why not go out in a boat? Some how I can't think of this as fishing. When I first finished being a US sailor, I was living in Santa Monica and read in the sports section of a newspaper about using a new fomr of terminal tackle. This tackle consisted of a long rod which attached to your line with five or six short leaders with a hook on each leader and supplied with bait. This was then lowered in deep water until it hit bottom and then raised a foot or two. You then waited until you felt five or six "bites" and then you winched up the apparatus with the Rock Cod attached ( the fish died from the bends on the way up).. I did not consider that fishing. I don't mean to be a spoil sport, but you might just as well go to the market and buy the fish. I know I will get some bricks heaved at me for my comments and I will accept the criticism happily.

Mike Blomme

Date: April 23, 2013 11:36AM

Michael,
If you want to surf fish, if you don't have a truck, a boat, or a friend to fish with, then the use of something to get your bait out past the break line is a good one.

If you cast on the inside of the break line, the waves will just wash your sinker back to your feet.
A guy just has to do, what a guy has to do.

I just think that this is a nice clever way to get the lure or bait out to the fish, when you don't have any other way to get it there.

Date: April 23, 2013 12:59PM

the pneaumatic potato gun may be just fine, but the ATF still wants to approve it...although I have no idea whatsoever if anything says they MUST approve of it.

For those concerned, here is what they say:

"Any person desiring a classification of a “potato gun,” “spud gun” or similar device must submit a written request (not e-mail) to the Director and include a complete and accurate description of the device, the name and address of the manufacturer or importer, the purpose for which it is intended, and such photographs, diagrams, or drawings as may be necessary to make a classification. A final determination may require physical examination of the device. Such requests for classification should be submitted to: Bureau of ATF, Firearms Technology Branch."

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 23, 2013 04:21PM

Should I send them a letter that I went to a Local GANG MEMBER and got a AR-16 ??? How much do stamps cost ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: david feilinger (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2013 04:30PM

i see these launchers at assateague island national seashore,and as long as they work off of air they are allowed.they all use braid on a spinning reel from what i have seen

Posted by: Jeff Madre (---.rtp.zs.ncren.net)
Date: April 24, 2013 09:21AM

A lot of sharkers at Hatteras use kayaks to paddle out their baits.

Date: April 24, 2013 11:42AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Should I send them a letter that I went to a Local
> GANG MEMBER and got a AR-16 ??? How much do
> stamps cost ?? LOL

Better to save the stamps...and save that rifle too! It'd be a collector's item since it was never put into production. ;-)

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 08:25PM

ive seen people on youtube using them and some fishing forums people tell about making and using them and they all say that a spinning reel is needed cause a baitcaster/conventional will backlash...just remember to flip the bail before you launch haha

about the boat thing boats are expensive and they cost money to maintain with gas and registration and life jackets, flares, lights, motor maint. and everything some people just cant afford the money pit that most boats are or dont have a car that can tow one etc...so they do this stuff on the cheap to make it more exciting with what they can afford

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster