I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

carben fiber handle question
Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: April 19, 2013 10:46AM

For those of you that make your own handles, how many coats of epoxy are you using to acheive a smooth top coat.

I have made several with great success but its somewhat hit or miss. The one I had on the dryer last night had issues with air bubbles popping but not filing back. I guess the expoxy set up too fast for the bubbles to escape. Thinking maybe I put on the first coat too thick.

Also what are you using for a buildup resin.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carben fiber handle question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2013 10:51AM

Per the articles on the technique in RodMaker, I use Permagloss or Lumaseal as a topcoat for Carbon Skins. These are vastly superior to any epoxy as a top coat. Thinner, lighter, harder and clearer.

I do use epoxy to wet out the skins and then cover with epoxy as a sealer coat. 90% of that is then sanded away to level and smooth the surface which is subsequently coated with one of the urethanes listed above.

Date: April 19, 2013 11:51AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Per the articles on the technique in RodMaker, I
> use Permagloss or Lumaseal as a topcoat for Carbon
> Skins. These are vastly superior to any epoxy as a
> top coat. Thinner, lighter, harder and clearer.
>
> I do use epoxy to wet out the skins and then cover
> with epoxy as a sealer coat. 90% of that is then
> sanded away to level and smooth the surface which
> is subsequently coated with one of the urethanes
> listed above.
>
> ..............
Yes its the wetting out and next coat(s) im talking about. Not the final coat as I use an automotive clear for that.

I like to get my glass smooth so I typically use several coats and wetsand between each... Just curious how many coats others may be using

Date: April 19, 2013 11:55AM

I just put the one thick sealer coat on and find it to be enough to allow sanding down to a smooth surface.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 19, 2013 12:08PM

I have used 3 top coats after the initial wetting but have heard of others using as many as 10 or 11

Posted by: Hal Lambert (165.166.57.---)
Date: April 19, 2013 12:26PM

I have had those problems also and found that a GOOD seal coat on the core helps reduce this greatly.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 19, 2013 01:43PM

Hal Lambert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have had those problems also and found that a
> GOOD seal coat on the core helps reduce this
> greatly.

X2

One thick sealer coat after lay up, sand, then one good coat of PG. I tried without sealing core and always got bubbles.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: April 19, 2013 01:45PM

I am like Tom's, 1wet coat,1 seal coat. Sand down between those two to320 gt. Sand down the seal coat to 600 gt and apply top coat.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2013 01:54PM

Not sealing the core before the wet lay-up is a major cause of what I call 'latent bubbles'. The fresh shaped core probably has about a million mini air pockets exposed that can release a bubble during the cure.

Seems like most people I troubleshoot with who have bubbles issues skip this step.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Date: April 19, 2013 02:20PM

yup thats most likely what I did.. I didnt seal the cf prior.

Hopefully I can sand this all out and have a usuable part..

Thanks

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: April 19, 2013 02:33PM

AHHH, said the blind man. I haven't done oneyet but it on the list.

So you pour the foam in the mold, let cure and remove, then put a thin coat of (laminating?) epoxy, on let dry (and sand?), Then do the wet layup with the carbon sleeve and laminating epoxy??

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: April 19, 2013 02:43PM

I shape the foam to desired shape. I then coat the core with the wetting epoxy, slide the sleeve on and (wearing rubber gloves) smooth out the fabric onto the epoxy on the core. I find this does two things. One it helps keep the weave straight and two it helps hold the sleeve in place whil zip tying down. I then wet out the sleeve and put it into a rod dryer for a couple of hours to spin. I tried the shrink tube and found for me it didn't do any better or save any time as I had to do two coats anyway. I do get some bubbles in that first coat, but since I sand it down smooth to apply a thin second coat it is not a big deal. The second coat rarely has any bubbles and I sand that out smooth also before applying a top coat.

Roughness in finish
Posted by: Michael Krig (---.open.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 20, 2013 05:52PM

I did my first CF grip using the rr-321 epoxy from Riley Rods. I applied two final coats of the rr-321 to the grip and ended up with a glassy finish but it was rough in several spots, almost like the epoxy didn't stick to some small areas of the previous coting, even though I sanded the first coat bit with fine sandpaper when it was dry before applying the second coat. When I was applying it, it had a nice smooth finish but then once it was dried I noticed the roughness to it. No bubbles though. What could be causing the roughness?

Date: April 20, 2013 06:09PM

A thin area in the finish.

Re: Roughness in finish
Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2013 07:41PM

Like Tom said the finished might not have been applied uniformly and had a thin spot.

It could also be a contaminant (like maybe a fingerprint or residue left over after sanding) or uneven sanding/not being concentric.

Practice makes perfect

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: April 22, 2013 11:30PM

what are you all using for the wet layup.. ive read about people using everything from a typical resin like flexcoat to west systems epoxy

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-130.myvzw.com)
Date: April 22, 2013 11:35PM

I have been using Riley Rods epoxy.

Posted by: bob elliott (---.natcky.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2013 11:00PM

Could the same treatment be used to coat the Mudhole carbon fiber handle offerings?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster