I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weaving A Design On A Foam Grip
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.80.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 18, 2013 07:35AM

I've had a request from a customer to put a weave on a foam grip. I've never done this before, i'm guessing it wouldn't be that difficult. Just a case of hardening the surface first with epoxy. I'm more concerned with how it will hold out in the long run with wear and tear, cracking? This would be on a fore grip by the way. Anyone tried this and had good results? Failing that, any type of thread work over a grip that has been epoxy coated?

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2013 01:23PM by Steve Mcleod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weaving A Design On A Foam Grip
Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2013 10:35PM

I have been working on that, wraping on the grip no finish, you must be soft handed and even preshure to keep it flat, it will sink in unevenly
and precise laying of the thread is nessesary, there is no moving the thread to pack afterword . Havent tried over finish yet that's next
I applied procoat to the grip let it dry and I found
with the softness of the grip, so far the finish flexes with it didn't over do it yet, we will see with a little more time to set,
then ill put it in a rod holder punish it and see what happens,

It will be interesting to see what else has been done.

Curt

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2013 10:39PM

ps. Using d-thread is far more easy to deal with than a.

Curt

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2013 07:11AM

You might want to build in some sort of insert within the grip suitable as a base for a thread weave. The trip itself, even coated with something, is going to be suspect under use.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2013 09:47AM

Tom's right. If you think about it, you'll have a flexible substrate with a thin semi-rigid section on top where you wrap and finish. I would think the chances of this failing over time would be high.

You might consider using cork, or a urethane insert under your wrap section, then use the foam on either side to complete the grip, or on either end, depending on your grip design dimensions.

Terry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2013 10:52AM

Yes, I think at some point it would get pressured and crack, split, etc.

A section of tubing within or between sections of EVA might be the ticket.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 19, 2013 12:47PM

Hello All

What about turning the grip down in the area you are going to put the weave enough that when coated with multi coats of whatever you decide to use on it, (I'd use PG in multi coats) it is level with the rest of the grip?

JM2C

Tight Weaves & Wet Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.94.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: April 19, 2013 01:54PM

Thanks Guys. Some good ideas there. I was thinking that too about the cracking. Also packing and burnishing might be a problem even with a coat of finish on the foam?

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.162.31.---)
Date: April 22, 2013 06:42AM

I think the best bet is to not use EVA or anything "spongy" or flexible at all. Since a hard coating with thread will go over the top it also makes it redundant. A hard tube would be the best bet. Maybe some wide diameter carbon tube?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2013 07:01AM

Also consider that when you wrap over thread finish the thread will sink in and not be moveable therefor packing will be a chore. A split grip with a tube the diameter of the of the grip OD sounds like the best solution .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 22, 2013 10:58AM

Hello Steve.

What about something waaayyy out of the box?

Get a sheet of 1/8" or 1/16" foam the same color of the grip and go to a seamstress and have the design embroidered on the foam then glue the foam onto the grip.
If you think that will get to dirty to fast you could put an acrylic tube over the whole thing(which defeats the whole EVA thing).

What do you think of that? Far enough out of the box for you?

Good Luck and let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster