I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater fly build
Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: April 16, 2013 05:28PM

Hey guys just a few questions, never built or even fly fished. My mate does so thought I may join him. Was looking at the American tackle matrix blank in a 8wt 4 peice. What are you thoughts on this? Also I don't have a reel so when it comes to spacing is it like any other rod building I should have the reel so I can do a static test? Also any ideas on an ok reel between $100-200 for this set up would be great as I don't want to spend a mint on a reel yet as just seeing if I like fly fishing. Cheers

CKR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater fly build
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 06:21PM

If American has a suggested guide layout for the rod, it is a good starting point, you do not need the reel to static test a fly rod. Anglers Roost a sponsor on the left has some nice reels that will fit your budget.

Date: April 16, 2013 07:48PM

203m reel looks ok any one use this

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 08:04PM

What kind of Fish? Is a lot of backing an issue? I have a dozen Ross reels, and cannot recommend them too highly. Built for a lifetime of use.

Date: April 16, 2013 10:01PM

Looking to target flathead,bream and occasionally salmon over here

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 10:15PM

Bream on an 8wt......make sure you post pictures.....

Posted by: chris short (---.lnk.telstra.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 02:31AM

Thought that's what a mate used asked him today 6wt is what he has sorry

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.196.---)
Date: April 17, 2013 08:58AM

For fish that run like a salmon, I would leave off the hook keeper. Things happen so fast that I don't want anything between the reel and the first guide that could catch the line. You can use the frame of the first guide for a keeper.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: April 17, 2013 03:03PM

I would look at the Batson Rx 6 or Rx 7. both have a more med action as compared to the RX 8. the RX 8 is great if you are a bit more experienced and are making loooong casts. but if you are just getting into fly i think you will feel the rod load better with one of the others. I have an RX 6 9' 7wt as a steelhead rod and love it.

Date: April 17, 2013 05:11PM

Will look into that cheers

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 07:06PM

The AMTAK matrix blank or the Batson RX7 are good choices. Both companies have recommended guide placement that work fine. You really don't need a reel for static testing guide placement on a fly rod but it's handy.

You might check out Allen fly reels. I have a couple and their latest model has a sealed drag and is rated for saltwater. (the Kraken) Just finished a trip to Belize and it performed well.

Terry

Date: April 17, 2013 09:30PM

Looked at Allen reels may try 1 of them looks great

Posted by: Steven Milburn (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 11:17PM

I second Gary's comment. Medium action is usually better for beginner casters. I have an RX8 and its good quality.
You get what you pay for with reels. I have a couple Allen reels. Their new ones are pretty decent. Maybe look at Cabelas RLS reels. I've been using one in the salt for years with no problems.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 18, 2013 12:17AM

The only experience I have with reels is with two reels: 1. reinforced plastic - broke 2. Reddington aluminum - works great, very good drag no complaints, didn't cost a fortune

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2013 08:11AM

Well if you want to go to the "thrifty" side. Get one of the original salt water reels. Pflueger 1498. Pick it up on the secondary market . Load it with a lot of gel spun backing and your line and have at it. It worked for Zane Grey it can work for you !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster