I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Custom Rod Pricing
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 20, 2013 09:27PM

IMO, branding doesn't mean diddle unless you are a marquee brand ... St Croix, Sage, G Loomis, Winston, etc.

What you need is an extremely well-built, high performance rod that is unparalleled. That is all it takes to convince a high-end buyer, anyone else isn't the audience of a custom rod builder.

$75 won't get me out of bed in the morning - to each their own in that respect.

These pricing threads always remind me of a quote by John Ruskin: “Quality. There is hardly anything in the world that some men cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man’s lawful prey.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 21, 2013 09:56AM

Craig, I think there are a lot of ways to look at this. I think you must look at what you bring to the table. I think you should also ask yourself what you would pay for.

What I mean is some here offer the expertise and hands on knowledge to provide a superior fishing tool. Some of them have openly said they only wrap in black and nothing extra goes on the rod. No decorative wraps, etc. Call it the steealth look, call it the look that allows one not to offend a sponser.

Then we have others here who can do butt wraps that are so stunning some of us wouldn't know where to start. Even if we bought the software packages, and took the time to learn, we would drive ourselves crazy and go cross eyed. The time it would take us would put the rod out of a reasonable price range. By the same token, some of the handle work falls into the same range. Many of us would sooner buy the handle and fit it to the blank. It just isn't cost effective for us to make them. In some respects, these guys have an artistic talent that not everyone has.

So will you offer the superior fishing rod, by virture of time spent on different waters, tempered with trying many different blanks? Will you offer artistic talent and craftmanship that few others can match? Or, are you just going to assemble the parts asked for, in order to give the customer what he thinks he wants? There is nothing wrong with the later and is certainly what most builders in my area offer.

P.S. I don't build for money but my dad did in the 50's-70's.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 21, 2013 06:52PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> $75 won't get me out of bed in the morning - to
> each their own in that respect.
>

Good one Jim!

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (38.127.195.---)
Date: April 22, 2013 11:06AM

Jay Lancaster Wrote:

>
> Hopefully all this discussion doesn't confuse the
> OP too much.

Nope. I'm good. Jay, you'll have to up your game tremendously if you're goal is to confuse me. However, I thought this board was about helping, so I'm not sure why you would want to confuse anyone. Seems rather hypocritical of you.

Ya'll keep it coming, it's not often a post goes four pages with 1,800 views.

Posted by: Michael Krig (---.open.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 22, 2013 01:30PM

Fortunately for me there isn't many people in far Northern Wisconsin that build custom fishing rods. Unfortunately for me there isn't many people period. I am also trying to make a living out of this but I am just starting out. I quit my full time job to become a rod builder and fishing guide so I have a lot riding on this and the best way I can think of to get my name out there and get more customers is to get my rods and work out there. I agree that I think I am selling myself short but like I said when I get a better following I will start charging retail or above. My website is TinCreekFishing.com if any wants to check it out and give me some feedback on what can help me sell more rods.

Thanks for the info

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2013 01:32PM

LoL

Craig, you are having issues with my posts for some reason. Please stop.

One of my first suggestions was for the OP (you) to come up with your own pricing as there are so many ways to do it that someone who is inexperienced can quickly become confused with the inevitable conversation that will surely follow. And that conversation did follow...everyone with different viewpoints and pricing tactics. The statement you quoted above was true to it's words as I hoped the OP (again, you) didn't become confused with the various methods people use price their products.

Please don't ever say that "my" goal is to confuse you. No one implied such. This board is indeed about helping others...which is why it is on page 4.

I would not dream of calling you a hypocrite...even though between your first post and subsequent posts a person might could come to that conclusion.

Craig Freeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those of ya'll that have a rod building
> business, how does one go about setting prices for
> their rods? Is there a basic formula? Is a number
> picked out of the air? ... So, Is there a formula for prices or do some
> folks just go all willie nillie?

Hopefully your questions got answered. That's what we're here to do.

I would ask that any further issues you may imagine to have with me that you email them my way. We don't need to clutter up the board with this type of stuff...and I'm sure Tom doesn't appreciate it either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 01:36PM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (38.127.195.---)
Date: April 23, 2013 11:15AM

Nice edit of the original question, Jay. The original question had to do with how some folks can price rods for lower than others can get parts for? The original question then asked is there a basic pricing element? Nothing more nothing less. I appreciate all the responses. I did email you and asked a question, you never replied back. And I wouldn't worry about Tom, I'm sure all the hits this post is getting does good for the site.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster