I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

metallic thread difficulty
Posted by: Don Reid (---.gci.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 05:10PM

I'm having trouble with metallic thread coming apart if I run it through tensioner on thread carriage. Only way it holds together is insufficient tension to keep wrap snug. Anyone else have this challenge? A bad batch? Any particular brand better?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: metallic thread difficulty
Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 05:18PM

I have with one paticular brand. Kinda @#$%& as I like their colors as alternatives. Couple nights ago I snapped it pulling a tag end snug. YIKES!

For me, ProWrap has been the strongest metallic under tension I have used. I can clamp it down pretty tight and not worry about breaking.

Posted by: Don Reid (---.gci.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 05:34PM

Thanks, Adam. ProWrap is what I'm using. Maybe I just got a bum spool but the least bit of tension or even pulling tag end through under wrap and metallic strips off nylon

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 05:45PM

if you are using one of these tension devices - [www.mudhole.com] - I would suggest putting the tension on the spool and not the thread They tend to eat thread and take the coating off metallic thread

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 06:34PM

I hold tension on mettalic with my finger and thumb. Make sure you have clean hands. At least a finger and thumb.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.static.snlo.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 10, 2013 06:44PM

That will happen with all brands of metallic thread if you use the "sewing machine" double disc type of tensioner but I have found that FishHawk metallics will take that tensioner better than most.

As said above, tension the spool and not the thread and problem solved with any brand though.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Rod Churchward (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: April 10, 2013 07:18PM

Don

May I suggest you try two things. Try FishHawk metallics. Try as Bill suggests, tension the spool not the thread.

Cheers, Rod.
Mboro. Qld.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 08:23PM

Try the Anton_Robinson metallics, no separation on the pull through, very consistent on the spool.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Garry Thornton (24.114.23.---)
Date: April 10, 2013 10:13PM

I wrapped some masking tape around one of the thread spindles.
This gives me enough tension on the spool to keep the thread snug.

Posted by: Steven Tekulsky (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 11:02PM

On a recent wrap, found that using Fish Hawk red metallic frayed consistently as single thread inlay or other pull through.
Will have to try Pro Wrap or Anton Metallics.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 10:33AM

As others have suggested - DON't run metallic thread through any sort of tension disks.
Tension the spool, do NOT tension the thread itself.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 12:05PM

Yeah Don, my experiences are under spool tension. But for me Pro Wrap is one of the stronger metallics, it is also a bit wirey and jumpy off the spool.

If you gotta wrap with thread tension I think PW gives you one of your best bets.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 01:23PM

Sounds like you should be better off to take the thread posts off the carriage Replace with threaded bolts with springs washers and a wing nut Then you can eliminate the tensioner
don't have one of those units But the posts got to come off some how ??

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster