I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Rod Build - Advise on Components
Posted by: Brent Oar (---.lns7.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 08, 2013 08:05PM

Hey guys,

I have decided to try build my first rod. For this project I am not too worried about the aesthetics of the rod, mainly just decent components and performance. I have made up my mind on the blank, and have an idea on what I wanted for the guides and handle, but just wanted some guidance in case I am off track. I would like to keep the build to around 100 dollars if possible, because then if I stuff it up its not the end of the world. The rod will be used for larger/heavier soft plastics for Barra and also even spinning metal slugs for light inshore work.

Anyway these were the components I was thinking:

Blank: MB844 MHX =$60.50

Guide Kit : Fuji BYAG-309 Alconite Spinning Guide Set = $22.80
[www.mudhole.com]

Handle Kit: Split-Grip AERO Spinning Handle Kit SGK-4 = $23.00
[www.mudhole.com]

Was also just going to use a 6mm alconite tip guide.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brent

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Rod Build - Advise on Components
Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 09:08PM

you could just get mb844 build kit for 90$,then you'll have everything you need plus spacing charts and you'll know everything fits correctly.real good way to do yer first build.not saying that what you posted won't work,actually sounds pretty good,just a suggestion

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: April 08, 2013 09:37PM

G'Day Brent Chris has given you some good advice .Just don't forget the transport costs they can add up very quickly when a blank is included .Another alternative could be "The Rodworks" located in South OZ & compare the costs

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Jon Kistler (---.15.169.145.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 11:10PM

For a few more dollars, I'd go with microwave guides. Why not start out with a bang? Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: April 09, 2013 06:18AM

Hey Brent you are looking at around 50$ postage on a blank from os Ross at therodworks has great stock and good prices also. He does sell the kits to font know how much if u need help you can call him great to deal with. Just an option. Where in oz mate

Posted by: Brent Oar (---.lns7.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 09, 2013 07:16AM

Thanks for the tips fellas. Will look into each suggestion. Chris I live in Townsville

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 07:40AM

For your 1st build, I would not use micro guides. Only because they are hard to handle, especially for a new builder.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 08:47AM

wow guys,i didn't look at where brent was posting from.i would imagine that shipping to down under does play a significant role in building a rod,how much is a 10' 1pc heaver?that shipping price alone would probably put me out of buisness!!!

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: April 09, 2013 03:30PM

I order all my blanks from Ross he is good for business and prices great fast shipping also. Have bought components from mudhole ect but postage on blanks is a killer from os depends what you are after I think cts have a flat shipping fee of $50 world wide

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: April 09, 2013 06:12PM

G'Day Brent I agree with Bill about the "Microwave" guide set up. If you are not used to handling the small guides it can be an exercise in frustration. Once you have a couple of builds under your belt & have your procedures worked go for it you won't be disappointed

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.130-26-211.dynamic.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: April 12, 2013 08:44AM

Hi,

I dont think microwaves are any harder to wrap on a spin stick but they are super easy to space out the sheet is aweful close to perfect i rarely have to adjust them much at all.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster